Update all Feeds does not show that feeds have new articles

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only

Update all Feeds does not show that feeds have new articles

Postby Jake » 10 Oct 2005, 15:09

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of v1.0.5. When I click the Update button under "All feeds:", nothing really seems to happen. I can only tell if a feed has new items by clicking on the actual feed.

Did I mis-interpret the functionality of the button?
Jake

Postby fox » 11 Oct 2005, 04:59

Um, it should display "updating feeds in background.../all feeds updated" status messages and then, well, update feeds display. What browser are you using?
fox
Site Admin

Postby Jake » 11 Oct 2005, 12:47

I am using Firefox 1.5 beta 2.

It displays the messages you mentioned, but the feed list does not show any updates after it is done. I've figured out that once I click on one of the feeds, THEN it will bold them and show the number of new articles.

It's a minor problem in a very cool product. I'm really enjoying using it, thanks.
Jake

Postby fox » 11 Oct 2005, 14:35

Nope, it should bold feeds and display number of unread posts automatically (it also does periodic updates from time to time).

I dunno what could break there. Maybe it's FF 1.5 issue, could you check it in Firefox 1.0.x?

Also, try latest dev. snapshot (or 1.0.5.1 at least, 1.0.5 was kinda broken) and check if it starts working for you.
fox
Site Admin

Postby Jake » 11 Oct 2005, 16:37

Sorry, I meant 1.0.5.1.

It's tough to test, because I have to keep waiting for my feeds to actually have a new article before I check :)

In IE6, I get an error whenever the feeds get updated:
Line 77
Error: Object required

In Firefox 1.5 Beta 2, the Javascript Console shows the following errors:
Error: Unknown property 'font-color'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://jakes.us/rss/tt-rss.css
Line: 168

Error: syntax error
Source File: http://jakes.us/rss/backend.php?op=rpc& ... teAllFeeds
Line: 2, Column: 1
Source Code:
Query <i>DELETE FROM ttrss_entries WHERE^

Error: reply.childNodes[l].getAttribute is not a function
Source File: http://jakes.us/rss/tt-rss.js
Line: 78

I'll see what happens in Firefox 1.07 when I get home.
Jake

Postby fox » 11 Oct 2005, 17:24

Oops. Auto article expiry was broken on MySQL backend - thanks for reporting it.

Could you please check latest snapshot (or darcs upstream) and see if it fixes things for you?
fox
Site Admin

Postby Jake » 11 Oct 2005, 17:44

Can't access http://bah.spb.su/~fox/tt-rss/snapshots/ -- error 403 Access Forbidden.

I'm unfamiliar with darcs.
Jake

Postby fox » 11 Oct 2005, 18:19

Double oops. Fixed, try that again.
fox
Site Admin

Postby Jake » 11 Oct 2005, 20:22

I've tried out your latest nightly release and the root problem still exists (but no more errors in the javascript console :)). I also tried it on firefox 1.07 and saw the same behavior.

I'm looking at my list of feeds and all feeds were marked completely read some time ago, so no feeds are bolded/show any numbers. I click the update all feeds button and see the notification in the upper-left side go cycle through to "All feeds updated". But still no feeds are bolded or show any numbers. Even if I refresh it does not update any of the feeds.

Once I click on one of those feeds, THEN it bolds its name and shows how many new posts there are.
Jake

Postby fox » 12 Oct 2005, 04:59

Weird. I can't reproduce this on my mysql test installation.

I see that backend.php?op=rpc&subop=forceUpdateAllFeeds returns valid data on your site, so I dunno what could be wrong. You'll probablly have to debug
javascript frontend to see what is broken (somewhere near refetch_callback()).

Just poking in the dark: If your database schema was created for older version, recreate it. And send me OPML of your feeds, maybe it chokes on something there.
fox
Site Admin

Return to Support