Remove images

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only

Remove images

Postby pcause » 03 Sep 2013, 20:00

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature request. I have the box checked to not embed images. For many feeds I get something like this:

images.png
images.png (35.49 KiB) Viewed 1070 times

There are a variety of links at the end of the article which are the result of images being "removed". I poked around the code and found this removal is done in the sanitize function but that instead of removing the image, you put a paragraph element and then convert the image into an address link. This isn't what I would have expected and am unclear why you made this choice. I am curious as you must have thought there is value of leaving this link. I'd think that with the embed original plugin, there is an easy enough way for people to see the images is there is something in the article that makes them curious to view the images. Since there is explicit code to do this, I suspect it is a conscious choice on your part, but perhaps it is a bug and left over from an older version where it made sense, but now could be removed.

The reason I raise this is that lots of RSS feed content now includes the images for facebook likes, google+, twitter and lots more image/crap links. I find myself scrolling through half a screen of crap when I expand the content of an article in combined mode. I was wondering if, at least in the case where the image link is not a child of an address link you'd just toss the image altogether. Another idea is to use breaks instead of paragraphs, since the paragraphs take more space. Ideal, at least for me, is to have nothing at all present for an image, but at least this gets rid of some of the crap.
pcause
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Re: Remove images

Postby fox » 03 Sep 2013, 20:41

>I poked around the code and found this removal is done in the sanitize function but that instead of removing the image, you put a paragraph element and then convert the image into an address link. This isn't what I would have expected and am unclear why you made this choice.

It is as if the option not being named "remove images" is somehow connected to this particular outcome

> Ideal, at least for me, is to have nothing at all present for an image, but at least this gets rid of some of the crap.

This is easily solved by writing a very simple plugin.
fox
^ me irl ^

Postby pcause » 04 Sep 2013, 12:44

fox wrote:>I poked around the code and found this removal is done in the sanitize function but that instead of removing the image, you put a paragraph element and then convert the image into an address link. This isn't what I would have expected and am unclear why you made this choice.

It is as if the option not being named "remove images" is somehow connected to this particular outcome

Sorry if I touched a nerve,but to me you are transforming not removing the tag. But not worth arguing semantics because it is your product and you'll do what you think is right.

I will look into a plugin. Not a great PHP coder but I can likely write a plugin. Any advise on which hook to use? It would seem the sanitize hook would be the logical place but you've already done the transformation which makes distinguishing these new address links a lot more difficult. After all a p->a->innertext type sequence of nodes is pretty common. Would you consider adding a class tag to the transformed nodes, perhaps on the paragraph node so that these sequences of tags created from the transformed images can recognized and as a nice benefit, can be hidden with CSS?
pcause
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby fox » 04 Sep 2013, 12:52

>Sorry if I touched a nerve,

Yes it's me always shaking in fits of rage over internet forums.

>but to me you are transforming not removing the ta

You might want to re-read the option name again. Maybe a few times.

>you've already done the transformation

hint: if you don't enable the option no transformation will occur.
fox
^ me irl ^

Postby sleeper_service » 04 Sep 2013, 13:55

pcause wrote:Sorry if I touched a nerve,but to me you are transforming not removing the tag. But not worth arguing semantics because it is your product and you'll do what you think is right.

are you just thick or something? what *exactly* do you expect "do not embed images" to do? it doesn't embed the images, the option makes no claim to 'remove all traces of images including text links" when is what you seem to be wishing upon a star that it did.

it's doing exactly what a rational being would expect it to do.

if you want something to clean up the crap in your feed, then, as fox said, a plugin would be appropriate, such as the plethora of plugins to strip unnecessary stuff from various other feeds full of cruft.

your head, pull it out of that dark smelly place and try looking around.
sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby pcause » 04 Sep 2013, 15:40

fox wrote:>Sorry if I touched a nerve,

hint: if you don't enable the option no transformation will occur.

Duh! Thanks for the hint. Makes it easy to do.
pcause
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby pcause » 04 Sep 2013, 15:45

sleeper_service wrote:
pcause wrote:

sleeper_service - I think fox is quite able to defend himself on these boards and doesn't need your gratuitous fanbois piling on.
Attachments
kma.gif
kma.gif (32.14 KiB) Viewed 972 times
pcause
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby sleeper_service » 04 Sep 2013, 16:55

pcause wrote:
sleeper_service wrote:
pcause wrote:

sleeper_service - I think fox is quite able to defend himself on these boards and doesn't need your gratuitous fanbois piling on.

oh, I'm not a fanboi, I'm just allergic to your particular brand of stupidity. I'm quite able to kick your ass if you'd like.
sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby fox » 04 Sep 2013, 17:27

Girls, shush.
fox
^ me irl ^

Return to Support