Fatal error, unknown preferences key: DIGEST_ENABLE

fallingrock
Joy Division

Fatal error, unknown preferences key: DIGEST_ENABLE

Postby fallingrock » 13 May 2013, 18:54

I noticed this in the log page after upgrading to 1.7.9.

E_USER_WARNING (512) classes/db/prefs.php:108 Fatal error, unknown preferences key: DIGEST_ENABLE

I noticed the database had an entry DIGEST_ENABLE, so I deleted it, but the message still shows up.

ttrss seems to be working OK, but thought I would report the issue.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Fatal error, unknown preferences key: DIGEST_ENABLE

Postby fox » 13 May 2013, 19:12

>I noticed the database had an entry DIGEST_ENABLE, so I deleted it, but the message still shows up.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 13 May 2013, 19:13

then you noticed DIGEST_ENABLE etched upon your leg. You cut off your leg but the error persists, right?

fallingrock
Joy Division

Postby fallingrock » 13 May 2013, 19:56

Smartass response aside ... yes, the error still shows up in the log even after I deleted the preference in the database.

fox

Postby fox » 13 May 2013, 20:01

I like how you are both blindingly stupid and a snitch at the same time. Poster of the week material right there.

fallingrock
Joy Division

Postby fallingrock » 13 May 2013, 20:19

Being a jackass to new users is REALLY not a great way to run a site ... for everyone.

I saw an error, I thought I saw the problem, I tried to correct it. The problem wasn't corrected.

I *DID* backup my database before I made the change, and I'm the only user at this point, so there is no real damage.

How about addressing the problem I'm reporting instead of being a jerk?

Either tell me it's a non-issue, a known issue, or a new issue.

I happen to run online forums myself ... and I don't tolerate people being rude. If someone happens to post something inappropriate in my forums, and I'm notified about it, I address the issue and ask the people involved to act like adults.

Calling me a snitch is just being juvenile. Calling me stupid is insulting.

You've got some rather nice software here ... Alienating people trying to user it isn't going to help.

If you want to kick me off your site for asking a question, go right ahead.

On the other hand, if you want to delete the thread so I can repost the question and we can address the topic like adults, that's fine too.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 14 May 2013, 03:03

fallingrock wrote:Being a jackass to new users is REALLY not a great way to run a site ... for everyone.

I saw an error, I thought I saw the problem, I tried to correct it. The problem wasn't corrected.

I *DID* backup my database before I made the change, and I'm the only user at this point, so there is no real damage.
Calling me a snitch is just being juvenile. Calling me stupid is insulting.

You've got some rather nice software here ... Alienating people trying to user it isn't going to help.

If you want to kick me off your site for asking a question, go right ahead.

On the other hand, if you want to delete the thread so I can repost the question and we can address the topic like adults, that's fine too.

*rant rant rant* *whine whine whine whine*

I don't actually think that fox gives a rats ass whether you use his software or not, the rest of us, who manage to use it without arbitrarily deleting things out of the database, and, strangely, without getting that error, are fine with it, and with his snarky attitude, frankly, he says a lot of the things I'd love to say to stupid users.

I've run into some bugs, I've clearly stated what error messages I've gotten, and in some cases, what I did to work around it, Fox has had a fix within hours.

fallingrock
Joy Division

Postby fallingrock » 14 May 2013, 03:13

Gads ... what a bunch of immature prima dona's ...

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 14 May 2013, 05:05

fallingrock wrote:Gads ... what a bunch of immature prima dona's ...

look, you did something *stupid* and got called on it, grow up.

"I'm running version x, and I get an error 'y'". that's ok.

saying "I saw an error, and I found something else that had the same words, and deleted it, but it didn't make any difference". ... that's stupid.

sure, you could try that, but, if it didn't work, then it probably had no connection to your error. proper proceedure would be to have restored your backup, and tried something else, or just posted a simple notice of your error.

if you don't like the facts as they are, I'm prepared to offer you DOUBLE your money back on all support costs!

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 14 May 2013, 09:32

HunterZ
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby HunterZ » 16 May 2013, 20:35

So anyways, I'm also getting this error in 1.7.9 approximately twice every two minutes. Is it a problem with my setup, or something I shouldn't worry about?

I flailed around with the forum search (and of course checked the FAQ, known bugs list, bug tracker, etc. and even Google) and wasn't able to get an answer, so apologies if there's an already-existing answer that I failed to find.

fox

Postby fox » 16 May 2013, 21:51

Completely same error message?

thermionic
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby thermionic » 16 May 2013, 21:53

Without wanting to step on any toes...

When I upgraded from 1.7.8 to 1.7.9 I also had an informational message when completing the upgrade

After I reverted to a copy of the ttrss directory I took before the upgrade back into place, restarted the web server (nginx in my case)n and re-ran the upgrade, I read the informational message again.

I would suggest that you reverted your database and your ttrss directory using your backups, then re-ran the upgrade, re-read the informational message and follow the (admittedly not blindingly obvious) instructions.

fox

Postby fox » 16 May 2013, 21:58

This might be caused by a user with uninitialized preferences (e.g. you never logged in under it or something), so when updater tries to send digests, it generates this warning. I wonder if this would hide the warning:

https://github.com/gothfox/Tiny-Tiny-RS ... 6c80222cae

fox

Postby fox » 16 May 2013, 21:59

thermionic wrote:Without wanting to step on any toes...

There's nothing new about this preference key, it was added long time ago, so this is unlikely to have been caused by .8 - .9 schema upgrade.

What changed is that better logging system is now in place, which made catching warnings like this possible.

Return to “Comedy bistro”