User theme changes for 1.16

Post plugins and custom CSS snippets here
fox
^ me reading your posts ^

User theme changes for 1.16

Postby fox » 09 Dec 2014, 15:08

The braindead out there can't figure out that themes might become incompatible while upgrading tt-rss (which is right there in red text on the upgrade guide but lol reading) so I'm going to require all third party css files to add the following as the first line in the file:

Code: Select all

/* supports-version:1.15 */

The version specified in the header must be equal to VERSION_STATIC. If it doesn't match, your stuff won't get loaded.

1.16 is coming in spring so you all have time to make changes to your beloved feedly-google-reader-whatever bullshit clones I don't care about.

fox

Re: User theme changes for 1.16

Postby fox » 09 Dec 2014, 23:53

Well I guess I lied, I've pushed out 1.15.1 because of OPML import being broken and it has this check enabled.

tschinz
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby tschinz » 12 Dec 2014, 10:48

Well I don't really agree to that change.
If users want a different theme they should handle it. As you said it stands in red in the Themes page etc. Their fault if they don't read. But I understand your frustation on the forum, by reporting errors where there are non in tt-rss.

This change just gives more work on the guys creating a theme. If the check would be v 1.x ttrss and v 2.x ttrss I would agree, but you even control down to 1.15.3. So now every minor release I have to change one stupid line for nothing?

Anyway this won't change your opinion...

BTW: reeder theme is compatible without modif except the aforementioned line.

tschinz

fox

Postby fox » 12 Dec 2014, 12:04

really? adding literally one fucking line to the css file: oh no its so much work for me, a Theme Developer

>So now every minor release I have to change one stupid line for nothing?

ok, don't. i honestly don't give a fuck.

tschinz
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby tschinz » 12 Dec 2014, 13:24

I understand, but better punish the user who don't contribute than people who contribute.

Anyways, I'll do it.

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby JustAMacUser » 12 Dec 2014, 18:18

Plugin developers already have to do this and most applications (e.g. WordPress) require this type of thing anyway, so I don't view it as a big deal since it ensures a working application.

The only suggestion I would make is using version_compare() instead of strpos() so that a "minimum" version could be used, but that's a pretty minor detail.

e: Actually, further to that, implementing a theme version would be ideal. Just like the database schema and API. So only when the CSS is changed would a theme developer have to update their file(s). But that's starting to create overhead for something that's fairly inconsequential.

fox

Postby fox » 12 Dec 2014, 18:30

version_compare would allow lazy people to just set minimum version to 0.0 or something because, as demonstrated above, updating their bespoke artisanal css files is so much effort which would just bring us all back to the starting page

>e: Actually, further to that, implementing a theme version would be ideal. Just like the database schema and API. So only when the CSS is changed would a theme developer have to update their file(s). But that's starting to create overhead for something that's fairly inconsequential.

nah I definitely don't care enough about people who desperately want my software to look like something else entirely. as far as I'm concerned if you wank over feedly UI so much just go fucking use it instead. the idea is to have third party code less likely to break my stuff, making life easier for *me*.

naeramarth7
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby naeramarth7 » 23 Dec 2014, 01:42

fox wrote:nah I definitely don't care enough about people who desperately want my software to look like something else entirely. as far as I'm concerned if you wank over feedly UI so much just go fucking use it instead. the idea is to have third party code less likely to break my stuff, making life easier for *me*.

Some Men Just Want To Watch The World Burn

tmknight
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby tmknight » 04 Jan 2015, 01:30

Shouldn't this be a sticky on the "Themes and plugins" forum? May I suggest placing it above "Question about the forum: Why are you all assholes?"?

fox

Postby fox » 04 Jan 2015, 01:52

Sure, this makes sense.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 04 Jan 2015, 02:39

good idea, put it up there where nobody will read it either.

Return to “Themes and plugins”