Frequency of updates? Pubsubhubbub? &amp?

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
esheesle
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Frequency of updates? Pubsubhubbub? &amp?

Postby esheesle » 19 Mar 2013, 19:32

Just started using ttrss and really like it so far. I am running it on my own server with all of my previous google reader subscriptions. Also using the android app which is nice. Couple of questions and possibly one issue:
1) How often does the update_daemon2.php actually update?

2) Do I need to configure my own pubsubhubbub server to get push updates or will ttrss use servers on its own if one of my many feeds supports it?

3) When there is an & in a subject of a feed the android app displays &amp (haven't noticed that in the web but might be there to)

esheesle
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Frequency of updates? Pubsubhubbub? &amp?

Postby esheesle » 20 Mar 2013, 04:01

Ok, so a bit simpler of a question. Which updates more often, the multiprocess daemon or a cron job that runs every 5 or 10 minutes?

If my feeds support pubsub then I would think the daemon which keeps running, but not sure if I need to aim it somewhere for that to work.

Oh, and forget the &amp bug, reported already.

Joschasa
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Joschasa » 20 Mar 2013, 16:27

esheesle wrote:Ok, so a bit simpler of a question. Which updates more often, the multiprocess daemon or a cron job that runs every 5 or 10 minutes?

I don't run the daemon, but call ./update.php -feeds via cron once every minute.
It won't update any feeds, unless they are scheduled for an update (feed settings or manuell update).
If the updater is still running when the next one starts, the lock file will stop the new updater.
The updater will fetch no more than 100 feeds each run.

How often a single feed gets updated is controlled via the (global & per feed) preferences (or you schedule an update in the interface).
Every method works this way, so it doesn't really matter, which update method you chose.

esheesle wrote:If my feeds support pubsub then I would think the daemon which keeps running, but not sure if I need to aim it somewhere for that to work.

I don't know much about pubsub, but i don't think, that the daemon is needed.
I guess the pubsub service would call some url of your tt-rss instance to signalize that there is a new update.

esheesle
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby esheesle » 20 Mar 2013, 21:41

So what am I doing wrong here. I'm looking through http access logs and see plenty of hits to backend.php but all are just me from the web interface. Shouldn't I be seeing push notifications?

esheesle
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby esheesle » 20 Mar 2013, 23:33

Or if you have push working, did you do anything special in your config.php? I've set pubsub to true, but haven't specified a url.

Joschasa
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Joschasa » 21 Mar 2013, 03:53

I don't use it.
But it won't work without specifying an url.
You can find more Informations about Hubbub Servers and ways to set this up on the page of the used library: http://code.google.com/p/pubsubhubbub/

Return to “Support”