Mark as read Button

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
Bobjespat
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Mark as read Button

Postby Bobjespat » 03 Apr 2013, 16:54

After manualy upgrading from 1.7.5 to 1.7.6 i must notice that the "Mark as read" Button is disappeared. Instead of this, there is now a third Dropdown Box. If i choose the first entry "Mark as read" -> Nothing happens in the article View. Is there a way to get the Button back?

Additionaly, is there a way to have a "Get new feeds" Button, to load new feeds manually?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Mark as read Button

Postby fox » 03 Apr 2013, 16:55

Mark as read -> All articles. First entry is a caption, this is a limitation of how dropdowns work I'm afraid.

Bobjespat
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Bobjespat » 03 Apr 2013, 17:05

Ahh Ok. I understand.

justauser
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby justauser » 03 Apr 2013, 17:37

If you want to get a button back, but also leave the date options, in index.php at line 190, you'll see:

Code: Select all

<select title="<?php echo __('Mark feed as read') ?>"
         onchange="catchupCurrentFeed(this)"
         dojoType="dijit.form.Select" name="catchup_feed">
         <option selected="selected" value="default"><?php echo __('Mark as read') ?></option>
         <option value="all"><?php echo __('All articles') ?></option>
         <option value="1day"><?php echo __('Older than one day') ?></option>
         <option value="1week"><?php echo __('Older than one week') ?></option>
         <option value="2weeks"><?php echo __('Older than two weeks') ?></option>
      </select>

You can change it as follows:

Code: Select all

<button dojoType="dijit.form.Button"
      onclick="catchupCurrentFeed()">
      <?php echo __('Mark as read') ?></button>
      <select title="<?php echo __('Mark feed as read') ?>"
         dojoType="dijit.form.Select" name="catchup_feed">
         <option value="all" selected="selected"><?php echo __('All articles') ?></option>
         <option value="1day"><?php echo __('Older than one day') ?></option>
         <option value="1week"><?php echo __('Older than one week') ?></option>
         <option value="2weeks"><?php echo __('Older than two weeks') ?></option>
      </select>

Be sure to save the original index.php in case I made an error in the above. I am using and seems to be working for me.

idoxlr8
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby idoxlr8 » 03 Apr 2013, 17:49

or... you could see this post about a plugin that has this and more
http://tt-rss.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1659

linuxdaemon
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby linuxdaemon » 03 Apr 2013, 18:04

Thank you for the button with date code. My preference is for that to be a single action, where the drop-down introduced a 2-step process. If the button and dropdown could be combined into one object, I think that would be the best UI for this type of interaction. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to accomplish that.

The interface I'm thinking of is like the "Font color" selection in Word (or Libre/Openoffice). You have a button that does the action, and a drop-down that selects the behaviour of that button.

fox

Postby fox » 03 Apr 2013, 18:06

Actually I think there's a control like that in Dojo, so this could be changed to perform like that.

Edit: fixed

See this is why trunk testing is important, if someone pushed for this earlier, it would've been done before 1.7.6...
Attachments
2013-04-03_18-19-03.png
2013-04-03_18-19-03.png (5.6 KiB) Viewed 4572 times

jakob42
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jakob42 » 03 Apr 2013, 18:51

Thanks for the change, was thinking about posting about that as well.

fox wrote:See this is why trunk testing is important, if someone pushed for this earlier, it would've been done before 1.7.6...

About that: I don't mind testing trunk before a release, but I prefer to run the stable build generally. But if you announce the fact that the next version will be out soon, I'm happy to pull the latest version from git. Or maybe a release candidate before it is announced automatically to the auto updater.

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 03 Apr 2013, 19:34

fox wrote:See this is why trunk testing is important, if someone pushed for this earlier, it would've been done before 1.7.6...

I think I might switch my install to using the trunk. Since I started using tt-rss again a few weeks ago there have been 3 new versions, and on the each update I've ended up adding lots of extra fixes from the trunk code including this one. I don't use the auto update feature because my files are owned by a different user to the webserver (except for the cache, lock, feed-icons directories) and so it wouldn't work and so it's a bit of a manual task to upgrade. I'm thinking if I switch to just using git to download the trunk then it's a simple matter of occasionally running git fetch every now and again and making any updates to the config.php as deemed necessary. To be honest it sounds like that might actually be a lot easier than running individual releases. Might play with that later and see how I get on. I'm used to using subversion for source control so git is new to me, although it looks similar.

fox

Postby fox » 03 Apr 2013, 20:56

jakob42,

>About that: I don't mind testing trunk before a release, but I prefer to run the stable build generally. 

If you pay any attention whatsoever you'll quickly notice that it's all meaningless anyway. The release is nothing more than a trunk snapshot with a tag attached.

I think i have recently explained why trunk stays usable minor issues notwithstanding.

xtaz,

>To be honest it sounds like that might actually be a lot easier than running individual releases.

That's what I keep telling people. Somehow they still prefer to fuck around with tarballs and whatnot.

craywolf
Mr. Awesome

Postby craywolf » 03 Apr 2013, 21:55

fox wrote:That's what I keep telling people. Somehow they still prefer to fuck around with tarballs and whatnot.

If (like me) you know your way around a linux system but aren't a developer and have never used a version control system, a tarball is far less intimidating. I've spent the whole morning reading about how to use git to (a) clone the tt-rss trunk, (b) branch off it with my own local changes if I want to, and (c) merge my changes back in when trunk updates.

fox

Postby fox » 03 Apr 2013, 22:11

>If (like me) you know your way around a linux system but aren't a developer and have never used a version control system, a tarball is far less intimidating.

To be fair it's really easy to learn all two basic commands: git clone and git pull. Branching is not much harder.

craywolf
Mr. Awesome

Postby craywolf » 03 Apr 2013, 22:18

fox wrote:To be fair it's really easy to learn all two basic commands: git clone and git pull. Branching is not much harder.

Yup, the clone/pull is not hard, it's just the branching I wanted to study. But I think I just about have it, and I should be OK once I actually get in there and start doing it.

For anyone else looking to learn, I found these useful:

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 03 Apr 2013, 22:47

Been playing and so far worked out clone, pull, log -n2 <file>, status, and diff. The one thing I've been trying to work out and so far haven't is if you make a commit which I find breaks something and I want to locally revert it how do I go about doing that. On subversion I usually do svn log --limit=2 <file> to get the last couple of commits to that file including the revision numbers and then svn update -r <rev_number> to update the file back to that number. Anyone know what would be the git equivalent of that? It looks like I can do revert <commit_number> but that appears to do a commit to my local repository with the changes. Not sure if that's the correct way to do it or not.

*edit* Running trunk via git now for both tt-rss itself and the ttrss-mobile client. Which I know I can now keep up to date just by typing git pull in the appropriate directory. Still curious about my final question though. I know technically if there's any issue I should just report it on here and then pull the latest fix that fox makes, but if I want to get it working straight away what's the best way to revert the latest pull and go back to what I was using before, and then after fox fixes it go back to the master trunk copy again?
Last edited by xtaz on 03 Apr 2013, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

Bobjespat
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Bobjespat » 03 Apr 2013, 23:47

thx for both, the Codechange and the Plugin. Tryed both things, like the idea of the plugin, but the buttons are to big for my feelings. So i keep the Codechange. Maybe i create smaller buttons tomorrow and post them here.

Return to “Support”