Unknown/unsupported feed type error

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
reibuehl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Unknown/unsupported feed type error

Postby reibuehl » 17 May 2013, 19:42

Hi,

for a few of my feeds I get the error "Unknown/unsupported feed type" even though the feed is apparently a regular RSS feed and also works in Google Reader.

http://www.instructables.com/tag/type-i ... gy/rss.xml is one of the feeds that doesn't work.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Reiner.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Unknown/unsupported feed type error

Postby fox » 17 May 2013, 19:53

[15:49:14/26422] error fetching feed: LibXML error 9 at line 372 (column 57): Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
Bytes: 0xA0 0x28 0x69 0x50

reibuehl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby reibuehl » 17 May 2013, 20:06

Does this mean that the feed has a different encoding type than what is specified in the feed itself?

As I have no influence on the content of the feed, is there a way to enforce another encoding?

fox

Postby fox » 17 May 2013, 20:11

The feed does not specify encoding. For XML this means unicode. Which it isn't.

As much as I detest GIGO shit, this shouldn't really break anything, and might help:

https://github.com/gothfox/Tiny-Tiny-RS ... afd0316be3

Encoding guessing of some kind might be added later.

reibuehl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby reibuehl » 20 May 2013, 13:45

I implemented the change you suggested and this solved the problem for one of my feeds. The other one seems to be a bit trickier though: I found out that for whatever reason the site returns different content based on the user-agent string of the requesting client. If I request the URL with tt-rss or wget, I do not a RSS feed but a few redirects and finally an XHTML page. If I try the same with Firefox or wget with a Firefox user-agent string, I get a proper RSS XML!

Is it possible to change the user-agent string to circumvent this? The URL that shows this behavior is http://xyya.net/auto/rss.xml

fox

Postby fox » 20 May 2013, 13:52

You can change it globally which will automatically disqualify you from any further support and break many other feeds. Per feed agent changing will not happen for obvious reasons.

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby feader » 20 May 2013, 14:51

fox wrote:Per feed agent changing will not happen for obvious reasons.

@reibuehl
You can do this in a plugin. I'm creating one at the moment which may provide a frame for this, but the hard part (code the php that fetches the feed with a given user agent string) you must do yourself :wink:

reibuehl
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby reibuehl » 20 May 2013, 15:08

Would it be possible to use a proxy for tt-rss that could then take care of this?

@feader:
Sounds interesting. Do you have already some information on how your plugin will work / what interface it will provide?

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby feader » 20 May 2013, 15:22

reibuehl wrote:@feader:
Sounds interesting. Do you have already some information on how your plugin will work / what interface it will provide?

Yeah. Basically all I could do for you is the handling of a JSON file, and even that not very well :mrgreen: you had to do the hard part (coding the fetch) on your own and put it into the plugin, so I wouldn't blame you if you created your own plugin.
What I have in mind is that you provide a JSON entry

Code: Select all

"match_URL": {
"type" : "fetch",
"user_agent" : "Firefox"
}

where match_URL is a regular expression that must match against the feed URL, and the user_agent string would be the one you want to use. If you need additional data, you could of course provide that in the object.
You would have to write the code that fetches the stuff, and put it into my plugin (which is unpublished yet) with a

Code: Select all

switch($type){
[…]
case "fetch":
[your own code that fetches the stuff]
[…]
}
}

If you won't wait for me (wouldn't blame you since I hardly provide any worthwhile functionality): You just need to hook into HOOK_FEED_FETCHED.

fox

Postby fox » 20 May 2013, 15:24

I think it would be better to add a separate hook to provide custom fetching instead of internal tt-rss mechanism, using feed_fetched might cause 2x the network traffic.

fox

Postby fox » 20 May 2013, 15:27

feader
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby feader » 20 May 2013, 16:19

This is how it's done here: Shock fox sufficiently so that he provides a better solution :D

@reibuehl
If I modified my plugin slightly, you could still hook in, now at another place, but maybe a new plugin would be better. If you would go along with me, at least I could justify the pompous name that I have in mind for my plugin :mrgreen:

But on a second thought, if you can't get the content provider to fix their stuff, you might use the af_feedmod plugin, if Tiny Tiny RSS can at least get URLs out of this shitty feed.

Return to “Support”