Error in TUAW feed

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Error in TUAW feed

Postby AngryChris » 16 Jun 2013, 10:28

I subscribe to TUAW (The Unofficial Apple Weblog) feed and it's giving me the following error (seen in the TT-RSS main interface when "Fresh articles" is empty and you have the opportunity to review the errors in feeds that have them):

Code: Select all

TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog: LibXML error 5 at line 242 (column 450): Extra content at the end of the document

The last post that successfully loaded was this one: Apple opens iWork for iCloud beta to registered developers.

From the main page, I see that this post, Three things you (probably) didn't know about OS X Mavericks' name, is the next one in the feed so I am guessing the problem is with this one. I don't use Google Reader anymore so I've no idea if it would parse it correctly, but I can say that the RSS reader Vienna has been loading this blog without issue since. I realize that once this post scrolls off the main page, the feed should start working again and catch up with it's been unable to get to since.

I've no idea how to troubleshoot this so I'm bringing it to you, the folks in the know. I don't know if the problem is in the post or the new XML parser, or if this is just some edge case that Vienna's parser works around that isn't working in TT-RSS (or shoot, even something in my operating system). Hey, that's what bug reports are for... to find where the bug is. ;)

I'm running TT-RSS 1.8 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with PostgreSQL 9.1.9, php 5.3.10, and Apache 2.2.22.

Thank you!

cqrt
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Re: Error in TUAW feed

Postby cqrt » 16 Jun 2013, 15:19

This has been discussed just a few days ago, search the forums. The article contains a UNICODE character 0x5 (ENQ) which is not allowed in XML documents.

Contact the feed author to fix.

AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby AngryChris » 17 Jun 2013, 18:20

I'm aware of the LibXML issues and each failure seems to be due to a different problem (as non-compliance with a specification can take many forms). I'm curious how you isolated this issue. When I view source on the post itself, and the feed, I don't see any out of place characters (using Firefox on OS X). Additionally, the (believed to be) offending post has scrolled off and the feed continues to report this error. Would you be willing to locate the error again so I can get this information into the hands of the TUAW people?

Thank you!

cqrt
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby cqrt » 18 Jun 2013, 00:01

The offending post is still in the feed.

View the source of the feed http://www.tuaw.com/rss.xml

Copy and then paste to a xml validator i.e http://www.xmlvalidation.com/

AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby AngryChris » 18 Jun 2013, 01:21

Thanks, cqrt. This is effing bizarre. When I view that XML page in Firefox and search for Mavericks, that post doesn't come up. If I view the source of the page, it's right there plain as day.

I'm not confident I'll get a response out of the TUAW people but I'll give it a shot and otherwise continue to wait. Thank you again for your time in helping with this!

cqrt
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby cqrt » 18 Jun 2013, 04:13

They've fixed their feed already. :wink:

Return to “Support”