Question about the forum: Why are you all assholes?

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
purn
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Question about the forum: Why are you all assholes?

Postby purn » 24 Mar 2014, 19:42

Hi. Why are you all assholes? And why is a forum for something as benign as an RSS reader such a giant circle-jerk?

Thanks. Purn.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Question about the forum

Postby fox » 24 Mar 2014, 19:46

A Good Question.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 24 Mar 2014, 20:05

Can't speak for everyone of course but I for one is an explicitly benign asshole.

fox

Postby fox » 24 Mar 2014, 20:07

Your rank image disagrees.

charlie-tca
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby charlie-tca » 24 Mar 2014, 20:29

I have to think the answer is that not all of us are assholes. Further, the ones answering the questions for the most part are the same people all the time. This is true in any forum, of course. Unfortunately, those few will often get tired of being asked the same thing over and over. It is quite difficult to continue being kind and answering the same questions with the same answer after a long period of time. (that long period being anything from 1 hour to years, depending on the person.) (Yes, I know this give me some backlash, but I don't care any more, either.)

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 24 Mar 2014, 20:56

no, you're pretty much spot on, the people that know shit eventually start getting tired of the people that are too lazy to try and figure shit out on their own, and instead whine "I'm a customer, I'm right, do what I want".

syh
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby syh » 24 Mar 2014, 21:22

I haven't had to ask a question yet, but I feel like, if I came into it with a little humility and having done the slightest due diligence beforehand, I'd get some good answers. Follow the forum long enough and you can tell the types of approaches and questions that get poor (funny) responses.

AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby AngryChris » 24 Mar 2014, 21:54

Yeah, I think folks need to keep in mind this isn't a technical support forum, it's a technical support forum. The software is a bundle of PHP and Javascript you download and install into your self-configured web server and RDBMS setup. It's not like installing some desktop RSS reader. People are expected to be technical, have Unix basics down, and to have done some initial investigation. This forum should be thought of as (to use an IT term) Tier 3 escalation. You're your own Tiers 1 and 2. Put some effort in and people here will be willing to think about your problem.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 24 Mar 2014, 22:03

and, to address syn and angrychris's points, I've seen more times than I can count when someone comes in and presents a decently thought out problem that points to a bug, and had a fix within hours, if not minutes posted up and ready for updating their setup.

that's rare, in my experience.

pahles
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby pahles » 25 Mar 2014, 10:30

Can you make this a sticky post? Who knows, someone might read it before asking questions :D

fox

Postby fox » 25 Mar 2014, 11:03

Better yet, I'll replace the FAQ entry about us being horrible jerks with a link to this thread.

e: also it's global now wooo

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Re: Question about the forum: Why are you all assholes?

Postby blainemono » 25 Mar 2014, 11:07

this thread is a giant circle-jerk.

SELF REFERENCE, MOTHERFUCKERS

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 25 Mar 2014, 17:51

pahles wrote:Can you make this a sticky post? Who knows, someone might read it before asking questions :D

your boundless optimism is delightful, but I'm afraid that the types that this thread target are the types that don't know HOW to read...

that said, I'd *love* to be proven wrong.

6502programmer
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby 6502programmer » 25 Mar 2014, 20:40

I'm a total newb on this forum, and while I've asked all of three questions, each time I've received helpful, prompt, and courteous answers. The distinction is that I investigate what's going on, do troubleshooting, and show my work. When asking a question anywhere, though especially in techie forums, you need to have taken care of everything google can assist you with, at a minimum. If you ask questions that could be easily searched and answered, YOU WILL BE RIDICULED. If you ask honest questions and show that you've done basic research AND provide appropriate information in your question like error messages and configs, you will be assisted.

auggy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby auggy » 25 Mar 2014, 23:07

I have a feeling OP was looking to install TT-RSS on a free host and or hoping to also use SQLite.

Return to “Support”