GReader-Like Mobile Version

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
j0nson
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

GReader-Like Mobile Version

Postby j0nson » 16 Mar 2013, 09:34

EDIT: User G2TT-mobile has taken over this thread, and hijacked development of this mobile interface in a way that most people will probably like to use. Until he makes his own thread, scroll down to the last post the get his version.
##############################################################################

I've quickly written a mobile reader that operates a bit like the Google Reader mobile version using the ttrss api...

All articles are shown in-line, just a few at a time, with a link at the bottom of the page to mark them as read.

This is just a first draft, it definitely needs more work, but I thought I would enlist others to help out. If anyone adds to this, please post your version, and I'll keep track of the progress. A CSS wizard could be very helpful! (I'm terrible at UI)

INSTALLATION:
Drop it in a sub-directory of the ttrss installation, and plug in the url to your mobile browser. Don't forget to enable the external API.

Download here: https://github.com/j0nson/tt-rss_mobile/archive/master.zip
Last edited by j0nson on 06 Apr 2013, 03:52, edited 3 times in total.

j0nson
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: GReader-Like Mobile Version

Postby j0nson » 16 Mar 2013, 22:23

New version attached, with a few enhancements.

-better css style and layout (not complete)
-ability to star posts
-top menu (that doesn't work yet)

I'm still building it, so I would love any feedback or help!

rmtew
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby rmtew » 17 Mar 2013, 03:03

This is one Reader feature I use for non-mobile browsing, when bandwidth is very limited and expensive. Any effort I put in at this time, will be to make tt-rss more Reader-like for normal usage, in the ways I appreciate -- so can't help as yet. Can you post screenshots as you update this, to give an idea of the direction you're going?

deadl0ck
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby deadl0ck » 18 Mar 2013, 05:39

I downloaded the 2nd version and copied the two files into the mobile dir. After login I'm just getting truncated menu on the top left. Can you clarify enabling external api. I'm new here :)

I'm also a fan of the Greader mobile site, I just use the main site to edit feeds and use the mobile site for reading everywhere. It's simple and streamlined, so hopefully this works in ttrss

j0nson
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby j0nson » 18 Mar 2013, 17:10

deadl0ck wrote:I downloaded the 2nd version and copied the two files into the mobile dir. After login I'm just getting truncated menu on the top left. Can you clarify enabling external api?

Don't put these files into the /mobile directory. It may work that way, but that is not what I intended. Install them to /m (or whatever other NEW directory you want) within your ttrss path. So if you installed ttrss to yourdomain.com/ttrss, put these files in yourdomain.com/ttrss/m/

Next, go to the preference panel of your main ttrss site (top right corner of screen, Actions>Preferences, and enable the option "Enable external API" under the general section.

Now, in order to use my mobile version, you just type in yourdomain.com/ttrss/m/

j0nson
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby j0nson » 18 Mar 2013, 17:13

New version: I've added a menu to select other types of feeds, and some viewing preferences.

I'm guessing no one is using this, since I haven't had any feedback... but I may as well keep sharing new versions.
Last edited by j0nson on 02 Apr 2013, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.

Cwiiis
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Cwiiis » 18 Mar 2013, 17:26

Don't be disheartened, I've been keeping an eye on this to try it out when I have time - your effort is appreciated :)

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 18 Mar 2013, 17:51

btw post it on github, it would be a lot easier to track and in general contribute to.

deadl0ck
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby deadl0ck » 18 Mar 2013, 22:02

Ok got it working, enabling external API option was the trick.

I'm using FF 17.0.3 in Scientific Linux. I see the “All Items” listed at the top, but I'm unable to change the options unless I change the view in FF to No Style. I'm also unable to view where to star items in either view (I could also be blind ;)

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 18 Mar 2013, 22:20

>I'm also unable to view where to star items in either view (I could also be blind

Nah, you just didn't read the

wait for it

The FAQ.

j0nson
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby j0nson » 18 Mar 2013, 23:53

screenshot-1363635975182.png
screenshot-1363635975182.png (158.27 KiB) Viewed 7030 times

-the star in the article header indicates and sets if the article is starred or not.

-the menu on the top right opens when you touch the down arrows in the page header. The menu just sets the type of feed you want to view.

I'm not a professional at CSS, so I've got it looking correct on my browser. If anyone has improvements to suggest, post your code! (Ill set up a github later tonight)

j0nson
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby j0nson » 19 Mar 2013, 05:11

if anyone is interested, I've put this on my github:
https://github.com/j0nson/tt-rss_mobile

(seems like a lot of work to use git for this... but if it helps others, than I'm all for it)

Aldursil
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby Aldursil » 19 Mar 2013, 05:16

I'm getting an error when I try and extract the files. The error is below.

7-Zip 9.20 Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov 2010-11-18
p7zip Version 9.20 (locale=en_US.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,1 CPU)

Processing archive: /home/aldursil/Downloads/index.zip

Extracting index.php Unsupported Method
Extracting mobile-sprite.png Unsupported Method

Sub items Errors: 2

Aldursil
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby Aldursil » 19 Mar 2013, 05:21

Got the files from github, but now when I go to the directory with my phone nothing shows up.

Got it working. This looks really nice.

j0nson
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby j0nson » 20 Mar 2013, 04:01

Another update, this one adds in the expanding view. When the "Full Text" option is OFF (in the drop down on the top right of the page), each article only shows an excerpt under the title. If you click on the title, the full article will load. If you click the same title again, you will follow the link to the site.

I've got one more feature I'd like to add, which is the ability to choose the number or articles loaded each time. Maybe tomorrow.
Last edited by j0nson on 02 Apr 2013, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Development”