G2TT - A Google inspired mobile interface

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
phoopee3
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: G2TT - A Google inspired mobile interface

Postby phoopee3 » 17 Apr 2013, 22:12

Oh I agree with you, I was just putting the concept out there.

The only thing I could think of is that I scroll through the list from top to bottom, and when I get to the bottom I want to mark them all as read. I'd have to go back to the top to mark them as read. Again, not a big deal, but the floating button would remove that need. Or you could put a bar at the end (in the list?) that allows the user to mark them all as read.

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 17 Apr 2013, 22:49

phoopee3 wrote:I scroll through the list from top to bottom, and when I get to the bottom I want to mark them all as read. I'd have to go back to the top to mark them as read.

This is exactly how I go through my list as well (hence the default of oldest first). At the bottom of the feed list, in the lower right-hand corner should be a link that says: "Mark these items as read". Is this not displaying for you? It is bellow the "Show more items..." and the count of feeds shown.

mark-as-read.png
mark-as-read.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 3463 times

phoopee3
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby phoopee3 » 17 Apr 2013, 23:28

God I feel like such an ass now. Hah, maybe I should use the app a little more before offering usability tips? It's totally there! Keep up the awesome work. I want to go through your code to see how you did what you did, looks great!

Aldursil
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby Aldursil » 18 Apr 2013, 02:19

I'be noticed when tapping the 'Mark these items as read' link it does not show that you tapped it. This makes me wonder if I actually hit the zone where the link is. Could you make this an actual link to show when you tap it?

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 18 Apr 2013, 03:54

Aldursil wrote:Could you make this an actual link to show when you tap it?

Done. The page goes to "loading" state which turns the text/link to grey, adds the spinning icon on supported browsers, and changes the "Load more" text to "Marking as read..."

With this commit I also "beautified" the code since it was a hodge-podge of spacing and styles.

ReineW
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ReineW » 18 Apr 2013, 16:29

How do i change the default order so i always get newest feeds first? Now everytime i login i get the oldest first.

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 18 Apr 2013, 16:53

ReineW wrote:How do i change the default order so i always get newest feeds first? Now everytime i login i get the oldest first.

To change the default behavior, edit js/g2tt.js. For feed order, look at pref_OrderBy on line 9:

Code: Select all

pref_OrderBy = 'date_reverse'; // Default: oldest first

Change this to:

pref_OrderBy = 'feed_dates'; // Default: newest first

Currently preferences (stored as cookies) are forgotten if you explicitly logout (using Menu -> Logout).

ReineW
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ReineW » 18 Apr 2013, 19:01

Works great, thanks!

How about a separate config file for all user-changeable parameters lite feeds per page and sort-order and so on? Then i can turn on git sync and always have the latest release without loose any personal settings.

phoopee3
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby phoopee3 » 18 Apr 2013, 19:20

ReineW wrote:Works great, thanks!

How about a separate config file for all user-changeable parameters lite feeds per page and sort-order and so on? Then i can turn on git sync and always have the latest release without loose any personal settings.

Yeah I'd like this too, you could also put the path variable in there too, so it won't get over-written/merge-conflict when we update. (i also know next-to-nothing about git, so i just blow the files away and re-clone... :? )

erikbennett
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby erikbennett » 18 Apr 2013, 20:00

I may be missing this, (either it's already been listed, or you're using a standard convention) but what are the options for all of the sorting options? I personally, due to the number of feeds I track, would like to keep the same order that I had in Google Reader, which was just alphabetically by Feed name. Thanks for this! (I am not a big fan of change, so this Reader clone style has made me much more happy about the transition.)

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 18 Apr 2013, 20:24

erikbennett wrote:I may be missing this, (either it's already been listed, or you're using a standard convention) but what are the options for all of the sorting options? I personally, due to the number of feeds I track, would like to keep the same order that I had in Google Reader, which was just alphabetically by Feed name. Thanks for this! (I am not a big fan of change, so this Reader clone style has made me much more happy about the transition.)

Currently the APIs support 3 options:
http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki/JsonApiReference wrote:

Sort order values:

date_reverse - oldest first
feed_dates - newest first, goes by feed date
(nothing) - default

I am not sure what the default sort is.

Version 1.7.9 of TT-RSS is "tasked" with bringing back sorting by article title, http://tt-rss.org/redmine/versions/91. I am not sure if there is support for sorting by feed title. I'll poke around a bit and maybe dig through the TT-RSS code to see if that is an option.

critter
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby critter » 28 Apr 2013, 23:16

The main reason for posting in this topic is to say thanks for a fantastic interface. I've been happy using TTRSS on the desktop but the other mobile options aren't sufficient for me, this however is awesome!

I do of course have a couple of small suggestions for your consideration:

The default view when opening the link seems to be All Items, it would be great to be able to change this to the category list.

If you press the refresh button when viewing the category list you are moved to All Items, I'd prefer it to stay where it is so I can see the list of feeds with counts before viewing

Putting an unread count next to the Special feed folder itself is a duplication - you already have the unread counts for the folders on-screen. I'd suggest removing the number for that folder and just showing numbers next to it's sub-folders, like the main TTRSS interface.

Thanks again and all the best!

balthisar
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby balthisar » 30 Apr 2013, 05:47

I haven't dug to far into this yet, but for others running a non-default directory layout that can't get past the login, try playing with the g2tt.jt path a little bit.

Specifically I (currently) host tt-rss on the root of a subdomain (meaning, I had no choice but to install g2tt into a subdirectory). g2tt doesn't like global_ttrssUrl='/', so I used global_ttrssUrl='/../'.

Dumb: keeping it null seems to work. :oops:

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 15 May 2013, 07:30

ReineW wrote:Works great, thanks!

Glad you like it. I separated out the "configurables" into js/g2tt-config.js, hopefully that can help minimize updating headaches.

ttrssmailinator
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ttrssmailinator » 24 May 2013, 11:49

Hi G2TT-mobile!
This was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for providing this!

When you continue to develop this app, I hope that you will keep it lightweight both in appearance and function.

Return to “Development”