G2TT - A Google inspired mobile interface

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
arthaey
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: G2TT - A Google inspired mobile interface

Postby arthaey » 25 May 2013, 01:00

Thank you for writing this mobile theme! It's exactly what I wanted, as a Google Reader refugee. :)

lyallp
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby lyallp » 25 May 2013, 07:53

Nice app :)
Now for a dumb question, on my part.
How do I tweak tt-rss that when it automatically detects mobile, that it uses g2tt?
I currently have the deprecated mobile plugin installed and enabled, as it works well enough, but if I can substitute g2tt for the mobile plugin, that would be great.

...Lyall

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 25 May 2013, 23:28

lyallp wrote:How do I tweak tt-rss that when it automatically detects mobile, that it uses g2tt?

Hey, one way would be to modify TT-RSS's index.php, right under the line:

Code: Select all

35     if (!$_REQUEST['mobile']) {

you can add the following:

Code: Select all

36         if ($mobile->isMobile()) {
 37             header('Location: m/');
 38             exit;
 39         }

Assuming that your G2TT mobile is in tt-rss/m/

I have not tested this much but I hope it helps!

lyallp
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby lyallp » 26 May 2013, 11:13

Cool, that appears to work.
Thanks!

lyallp
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby lyallp » 27 May 2013, 04:26

Hmmm. Tried again the next day and login does not seem to want to work.
The login page displays just fine, just it does not appear to let me login.

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 29 May 2013, 02:43

lyallp wrote:Hmmm. Tried again the next day and login does not seem to want to work.
The login page displays just fine, just it does not appear to let me login.

Hrmm...I don't know. It works for me but I am not running a multi-user setup (i.e. just have to call to get the cookie for the API calls, does not matter what the username/password are).

Sorry I do not initially know the solution for you on this one. Does it work if you undo the edit to TT-RSS?

lyallp
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby lyallp » 29 May 2013, 12:10

I reverted to the old mobile app.
However, it did login once and I suspect it may have been a cookie issue.
I will re-try soon.

ttrssmailinator
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ttrssmailinator » 30 May 2013, 12:16

Hi G2TT-mobile,
I've been using your webapp for a week or two now and am still very impressed. I have, however, also found a couple of wrinkles in the UI that could maybe be ironed out along the way. (+ a bonus feature request! :-) )

In order to be on the same page, here's my understanding of the UI flow:

All view:
All items -> Aggregate article list
Category 1 -> Category view
Category 2 -> Category view

Category view:
Category -> Aggregate article list
Feed 1 -> Article list
Feed 2 -> Article list

Here are my findings:

1) The header seems to be stuck at "All items". I think it would make sense to have it show the category name in category view and aggregate article list, and the feed name in article list

2) The reload button does something undefined (or?) in category view

3) The feeds button in aggregate article list and article list takes you all the way back to the all view instead of moving back one level. This may be a design decision, but I find it somewhat inconvenient

4) You could simplify the UI by only having the logout menu in the all view (sort of the front page). This is a design decision as well, but this is probably rarely used (once per session) and does probably not need a prominent UI presence.

5) This is kind of a feature request: Images do not seem to be scaled in picture feeds (web comics, reddit with the plugin, etc). Would it be possible to scale the images (client or server) in order to prevent horizontal scrolling?

I have tested this on iPhone and Asus TF101. Let me know if I can provide further information/testing!

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 03 Jun 2013, 22:36

ttrssmailinator wrote:Hi G2TT-mobile,
I've been using your webapp for a week or two now and am still very impressed. I have, however, also found a couple of wrinkles in the UI that could maybe be ironed out along the way. (+ a bonus feature request! :-) )

Thanks for the feedback!

ttrssmailinator wrote:1) The header seems to be stuck at "All items". I think it would make sense to have it show the category name in category view and aggregate article list, and the feed name in article list

I had thought I had this at one point but you are right, this is missing and I'll need to work on it. Thought it would be a real quick fix, but there is a design decision to make on how to store/know the name of the feed you are viewing (looking into the APIs to see if there is one that I can leverage for feed number to feed name).

ttrssmailinator wrote:2) The reload button does something undefined (or?) in category view

The reload button is the same as hitting reload on the page, so this takes you back to the feed view; would you expect it to stay on the category view and update the unread numbers? It is also supposed to update the last feed you were viewing, but I have never seen success with this as I do not wait for the server to update the feed.

ttrssmailinator wrote:3) The feeds button in aggregate article list and article list takes you all the way back to the all view instead of moving back one level. This may be a design decision, but I find it somewhat inconvenient

So you are viewing the feed/category: All Items -> Cat -> SubCat; When you click the feeds button would you expect to go to All Items, Cat, or SubCat?

ttrssmailinator wrote:4) You could simplify the UI by only having the logout menu in the all view (sort of the front page). This is a design decision as well, but this is probably rarely used (once per session) and does probably not need a prominent UI presence.

To log out you click the Feeds button and then the menu? That would help declutter then "main" menu. I'll consider it.

ttrssmailinator wrote:5) This is kind of a feature request: Images do not seem to be scaled in picture feeds (web comics, reddit with the plugin, etc). Would it be possible to scale the images (client or server) in order to prevent horizontal scrolling?

Hrmmm...I do not really want to parse the content returned for each article and modify it. Maybe there is a fancy way to do this, I'll keep it in mind as that would be nice.

ttrssmailinator
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ttrssmailinator » 04 Jun 2013, 10:30

Hi G2TT-mobile,
2) I think I would expect the app to stay where it is and just a) update article counts (in All or Category view) or b) fetch new articles when in (aggregate) article list.

Further, I would probably expect the list to "fill up" to the number of articles that is loaded when entering the list: eg. I've read 10 of the 15 articles and press reload; then I will see the remaining 5 unread + 10 new unread. I don't know if this will break in other reading modes than "show unread", and it's probably not a huge deal.

Actually, if you change the header so that it shows the right thing, the current behavior of the reload button may be easier to understand. But then you may simplify the design by removing the reload button since most (all?) browsers have a reload functionality.

3) Actually, the behavior seems to correspond to the label on the button: "Feeds" goes back to all view and "Back" moves up one level in the UI hierarchy. However, I would probably prefer to have the "Back" behavior on all levels; ie. when viewing the article list, I would expect the button to take me to the category view (move "backwards" on the arrows in the UI flow; cf my original post)

I hope this is helpful; I'll be happy to elaborate.

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 04 Jun 2013, 21:42

ttrssmailinator wrote:1) The header seems to be stuck at "All items". I think it would make sense to have it show the category name in category view and aggregate article list, and the feed name in article list

This should be fixed now. In the list of articles, the category/feed title should be displayed. In the Feeds/Categories view, there should be no title (per Google) and the "title" is the top most folder.

tmknight
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby tmknight » 15 Jun 2013, 16:45

G2TT-mobile wrote:

This should be fixed now. In the list of articles, the category/feed title should be displayed. In the Feeds/Categories view, there should be no title (per Google) and the "title" is the top most folder.
Good work! Working as expected for me.

tmknight
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby tmknight » 29 Jun 2013, 02:05

Looks like the activity on GitHub has ceased, any new development taking place? Would love to get "search" working and the ability to see "starred" articles alone. Thanks in advance for keeping this alive!

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 03 Jul 2013, 07:10

Yeah, sorry. Got busy with other stuff. I had search partially working at some point but rolled it back to add some of the other items that were easier.

For starred articles, that is one of the "special" categories. Feeds -> Special -> Starred articles. You'll need to change the view to Show all to see the category in the list (unless you've starred an unread article).

Marty
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Marty » 04 Jul 2013, 00:57

Thank you so much for developing G2TT!

Only one question: By default the G2TT mobile interface starts with showing "all articles". How can I make it start with the overview page on which I can choose whatever category I'd like to access?

Return to “Development”