G2TT - A Google inspired mobile interface

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Re: G2TT - A Google inspired mobile interface

Postby G2TT-mobile » 11 Aug 2013, 00:13

erikbennett wrote:*All view: button stays depressed (darker shade) until categories are refreshed. 0 categories no longer stay and are either auto-refreshed or cleared when the button is pushed.
*Category view: same as all view. 0 categories auto-refresh as well and disappear for me now.
*Article list: button stays depressed until articles are refreshed. New articles remain, read articles disappear

This is how I have coded the refresh button to work. If people would like to see it operate in another fashion, let me know but I like the location.reload() feature in Article List because I view this in a frame on my desktop and this allows for a simple way to refresh/reload that frame.

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 11 Aug 2013, 08:53

erikbennett wrote:One last, separate thing. Is there anywhere that lists all of the config variables and all of their options? I can't seem to find anything.

I updated the README.md to include a basic description and list of available values for the configuration options. This also lead me to the discovery of some chances to clean up the configuration (TextType is unused and so commented it out, and IsCat is not a configuration option, just something that needs to be tracked so moved it out of g2tt-config.js and into g2tt.js).

erikbennett
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby erikbennett » 12 Aug 2013, 20:08

Thanks for the updated read me. Definitely appreciated.

I have just started noticing something and I'm not sure where the problem is cropping up. I have all of my feeds cataloged into folders. So, say, I have a folder called "Humor" and within it, 10 feeds. I stumbled upon this by accident. If I go into the article list of the feed in the list, then click "Feeds" back to the feed list, then go into the article list of another feed on the list, click mark all items as read, then click back to the feed list... on the auto-refresh, it will mark the 15 items in both feeds as read. I tried this out on multiple feeds. So, if I have a list of three feeds, go into the 3rd feed, go back, go into the 2nd feed, go back, then go into the first feed, click "mark all items as read" then go back to the list... on the auto-refresh, it will mark 15 items read in all the feeds! I tested this out from the full tt-rss interface, and it doesn't happen.

I realize I probably didn't explain that well. Let me know if you need clarification. (I'm on 1.9 and the most recent version of G2TT)

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 13 Aug 2013, 07:56

erikbennett, nice bug find! Based on your description I can actually picture the code/reason this is happening and should be able to fix it (just have to set aside the time). The way "Mark all as read" works is it is just an array of all the articles that have been displayed. I never thought to clear the array after I minimized the page reloads, thus the array is likely not being reset to being emptied when a feed is selected. Just have to code and test; hopefully I will get to that soon for you.

I am always concerned that my lack of thorough testing/test cases will result in bugs and this is a perfect point. I have not gone through the trouble of setting up a separate environment to test, and so I don't do a lot of testing that would have mass affects on my personal list of feeds and it finally caught up to me.

erikbennett
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby erikbennett » 13 Aug 2013, 08:02

No problemo. Glad to be able to find it. :)

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 13 Aug 2013, 09:28

Alright, such an easy fix I wasn't going to be able to sleep soundly not fixing it. Just pushed. Hope it fixes it without adding any new issues.

erikbennett
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby erikbennett » 15 Aug 2013, 01:39

Just updated my G2TT. Looks like that fixed it. Thanks!

ttrssmailinator
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ttrssmailinator » 15 Aug 2013, 11:39

Hi,
I have another couple of observations/thoughts that I'd like to share.

Like erikbennet, I noticed the lag when removing unread feeds. Would it make sense to update the internal data structures before moving from the article view back to the category/all view?

Would it make sense to step directly back to the all view if the category view is empty? As it is now, if I read through a category (so that I eventually see "Showing 0 items") and press the Feeds button, it will take me to a completely empty category view (the header with back, reload, and settings button are visible).

For consistency, would it make sense to have the category name (e.g. humor) or "All articles" in the header, similar to having the feed/category name in the header in the article view?

Another little inconsistency: If you go into article view under "All articles", you will see a "Feeds" button taking you back to all view, but the button taking you back to all view in the category view is labeled "<< Back". (I realize that "All articles" technically goes to an article list, which has a "Feeds" button when entered from a category view)

Has the the discussion on how the reload button works in article view been closed? ;-)

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 17 Aug 2013, 07:52

ttrssmailinator wrote:Like erikbennet, I noticed the lag when removing unread feeds. Would it make sense to update the internal data structures before moving from the article view back to the category/all view?

That sounds possible. I'll look into it.

ttrssmailinator wrote:Would it make sense to step directly back to the all view if the category view is empty? As it is now, if I read through a category (so that I eventually see "Showing 0 items") and press the Feeds button, it will take me to a completely empty category view (the header with back, reload, and settings button are visible).

I've been toying with the idea of what to do in this situation, jumping up seems plausible but could get tricky for deeply nested folders.

ttrssmailinator wrote:For consistency, would it make sense to have the category name (e.g. humor) or "All articles" in the header, similar to having the feed/category name in the header in the article view?

The lack of the category name was to mimic Google's original layout. But this has irked me and now that someone else has spoken up I think I'll implement this.

ttrssmailinator wrote:Another little inconsistency: If you go into article view under "All articles", you will see a "Feeds" button taking you back to all view, but the button taking you back to all view in the category view is labeled "<< Back". (I realize that "All articles" technically goes to an article list, which has a "Feeds" button when entered from a category view)

There is a definite distinction between views with the "Feeds" button and views with the "Back" button, which is also reflected in the menu options being different. Maybe if you are configured to start in Category view, then it might make sense to have "Back" in the article list, but my mental layout, the list of items is the "main" view and thus you don't go "back" from the main view.

ttrssmailinator wrote:Has the the discussion on how the reload button works in article view been closed? ;-)

I think it was established that the most recent version works as intended: in list of items/articles it reloads the page; in list of feeds/categories it refreshes

dahamsta
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby dahamsta » 10 Oct 2013, 17:22

Just a note to say thanks for the following. An empty string didn't work for me, but "../" did.

EDIT: Loving it btw, I'll be switching to this permanently over the app. Thanks very much.

balthisar wrote:I haven't dug to far into this yet, but for others running a non-default directory layout that can't get past the login, try playing with the g2tt.jt path a little bit.

Specifically I (currently) host tt-rss on the root of a subdomain (meaning, I had no choice but to install g2tt into a subdirectory). g2tt doesn't like global_ttrssUrl='/', so I used global_ttrssUrl='/../'.

Dumb: keeping it null seems to work. :oops:

mrjeremy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mrjeremy » 18 Jan 2014, 02:10

First off, I want to really thank you for creating this interface. I've been going crazy trying to get my "old google reader" look back and you really hit everything.
It has the Load more..., the mark these as read (AMAZINGLY hard to find btw), and the sort oldest first.
Again, thank you.
I'm trying to use this everyday to help test and so far I've found the following:
When trying to login and either the API was disabled or wrong username/pw there wasn't anything visible to say that. It shows in the console but when on my phone i couldn't tell what was wrong.
I edited g2tt.js and added the following on line 58 under

Code: Select all

console.log(response['content']);

add:

if (response['content'].error =='LOGIN_ERROR'){
                  window.alert("Username and/or Password were incorrect!");      
                   }
            if (response['content'].error =='API_DISABLED'){
                  window.alert("The API Setting is disabled. Login on the desktop version and enable API in the Preferences.");      
                   }

I'm also adding a link to go to desktop version since i have it redirect using the isMobile() function. This seemed to work for me:

<a "http://example.com/ttrss/index.php?mobile=false">Click Here for Full Site</a>

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 02 Feb 2014, 21:20

Thanks, mrjeremy. I pushed the login stuff just now (https://github.com/g2ttrss/g2ttrss-mobi ... 53b200db03).

I do not have a multi-user environment and so the authentication flow definitely is lacking in use-case testing.

mrjeremy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mrjeremy » 02 Feb 2014, 23:35

Thanks for pushing.

I've tweaked all the icons to use font-awesome ones that look really good on iPhone.
I've also tweaked the main registration and forgot password as well to be mobile friendly.

I can send what I have or make a fork on GitHub. Just need to clean up the comments and stuff.

G2TT-mobile
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby G2TT-mobile » 09 Feb 2014, 06:05

Thanks again mrjeremy.

I merged in your changes (minus the mudreader specific stuff).

rudy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby rudy » 14 Dec 2014, 22:00

I upgraded to tt-rss v1.15.3 and began to see ellipsis for article excerpt summaries. I didn't see updates in https://github.com/g2ttrss/g2ttrss-mobile, so I added an excerpt_length parameter to the getHeadlines api call:

*** old/js/g2tt.js      2014-05-10 19:12:27.485693824 -0600
--- new/js/g2tt.js      2014-12-14 11:34:35.355297550 -0700
*** 499,504 ****
--- 499,505 ----
      data.is_cat = pref_IsCat;
      data.include_nested = true;
      data.order_by = pref_OrderBy;
+     data.excerpt_length = 100;
      if (pref_OrderBy == "date_reverse") {
          data.since_id = since;
      } else {

and began to see the article summaries again.

I've noticed no problems in two or three uses today, but someone more knowledgeable may have a better approach.

Return to “Development”