offloading dojo.js loading?

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: offloading dojo.js loading?

Postby fox » 29 May 2013, 19:06

interesting. so make it conditional upon use of https && mod_spdy being loaded ? ;)

I just... Nevermind.

it'll be cached on the first and every connection,

As opposed to caching on first connection to your tt-rss server which is completely different, you see, because

it's one of those "the more people do it, the more it pays off".

CDN not being used enough by general populace is one of recurring nightmares I have. So cold... lonely... need HTTP requests...

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 29 May 2013, 19:09

vapier wrote:thanks for basically proving my point while simultaneously contributing nothing of value here (again)

fox

Postby fox » 29 May 2013, 19:10

vapier wrote:thanks for basically proving my point while simultaneously contributing nothing of value here (again)

He posts cute bears, you post... well, you post.

deckyon
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby deckyon » 29 May 2013, 19:11

Epic!

vapier
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby vapier » 29 May 2013, 19:18

fox wrote:
it'll be cached on the first and every connection,

As opposed to caching on first connection to your tt-rss server which is completely different, you see, because

... because it'll be cached before you even visit the tt-rss server

fox wrote:He posts cute bears, you post... well, you post.

sorry, i wasn't aware this was the "post random pictures" forum. i was under the impression it was the "let's discuss development of tt-rss" forum.

fox

Postby fox » 29 May 2013, 19:19

vapier wrote:... because it'll be cached before you even visit the tt-rss server

Shaving a few seconds on a first tt-rss connection is very important, because

fox

Postby fox » 29 May 2013, 19:21

sorry, i wasn't aware this was the "post random pictures" forum. i was under the impression it was the "let's discuss development of tt-rss" forum.

As far as I'm concerned you seem to have thought it was a post inane rants forum, but I digress.

Edit: Q =/= E

vapier
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby vapier » 29 May 2013, 19:29

fox wrote:
vapier wrote:... because it'll be cached before you even visit the tt-rss server

Shaving a few seconds on a first tt-rss connection is very important, because

... because i like having web services be fast all the time, not just some of the time

it's also helpful when:
- switching between many devices (as each device has a "first" connection)
- switching between browsers to make sure things render correctly
- when doing development as it's common to throw away site-specific caches

i'm not trying to convince you to accept the patch since you've made your position fairly clear, just highlighting use cases that some people care about

fox

Postby fox » 29 May 2013, 19:49

What makes it even funnier is that you consider above an actual valid use-case to be taken non-ironically. It's precious, really.

I mean, I too switch between hundreds of devices daily to do development and stuff, and am being very angry about all those literal precious seconds of my life I'm permanently losing to Dojo loading because my development server is on a dialup modem, as opposed to CDN to which I am connected through a direct neural interface.

some people care about

"Some people" consider Earth flat. You know, just saying.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 29 May 2013, 22:33

vapier wrote:
sleeper_service wrote:well, speaking for myself, I've reported a few bugs, they've *all* been fixed *promptly* I've suggested a couple of changes, and they've been looked at, and either implemented or not, but there's not been any "dismissive/vague answers and ad-hominem attacks" in response. perhaps it's your attitude and combative nature when people didn't immediately support your proposition?

if you don't read the actual thread w/posts, then i guess your resulting take away won't line up w/reality

well, that explains most of the drivel you've spewed, thank you for clarifying your positions.

fwiw, a bug fix and a change I've suggested have both been implemented in trunk in the last 24 hours. what've YOU accomplished, other than providing "look at that baboon over there, flinging his own shit at people" amusement for the rest of the readers?

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 29 May 2013, 22:36

blainemono wrote:

now, *that* is a valuable contribution!

I get a lot more out of that than I do the yammerhead stomping his little foot saying "we should rely on GOOGLE! (the same people who're shutting down google reader, and driving a hoard of newbies to ttrss (me included, but at least I didn't come in and start yelling that "ttrss should be like google reader, and use all the google services, cuz google rulz!")

fox

Postby fox » 29 May 2013, 22:41

sleeper_service wrote:other than providing "look at that baboon over there, flinging his own shit at people" amusement for the rest of the readers?

Hey, hey. Let's not knock our free entertainment here, after all converting tears and rage into comedy is one of the main purposes of this forum.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 29 May 2013, 23:19

fox wrote:
sleeper_service wrote:other than providing "look at that baboon over there, flinging his own shit at people" amusement for the rest of the readers?

Hey, hey. Let's not knock our free entertainment here, after all converting tears and rage into comedy is one of the main purposes of this forum.

what? I said he was amusing!

vapier
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby vapier » 30 May 2013, 08:59

fox wrote:I mean, I too switch between hundreds of devices daily to do development and stuff, and am being very angry about all those literal precious seconds of my life I'm permanently losing to Dojo loading because my development server is on a dialup modem, as opposed to CDN to which I am connected through a direct neural interface.

i already pointed out in the recent bug that high bandwidth is not the same thing low latency. having a tt-rss instance that is physically far away (and thus high latency) even if both client & server have otherwise good connections (high bandwidth and low latency to local connections) means each serialized connection is painful. using a CDN that is physically close to you (which works even whilst traveling) helps out, not to mention the CDN in this case is almost guaranteed to have faster hardware & network connection than your server.

SPDY certainly mitigates that to a degree, but that is not easily deployable for many people today on the server side (or even possible depending on your hosting), nor do all clients support it. thus we are left with classic web optimization tricks like leveraging multiple domains and CDNs.

unfortunately you dismiss such real world use cases out of hand. i'll just keep it in my fork and move on.

fox

Postby fox » 30 May 2013, 09:11

I wonder how many times you could have cached Dojo instead of posting in this thread. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Return to “Development”