Periodic releases are over

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Periodic releases are over

Postby fox » 31 Jan 2015, 15:01

I'm not sure that shitting up the repository with potentially thousands of useless automatic tags is a good idea and, well, in general tarball updating seems rather wasteful.

I'm still thinking about it but version tracking / updater are most likely on the way out, and will be replaced with "just use git pull whenever you feel like it".

Version tracking is also currently tied to milestones in redmine which is unsuitable for automation.

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby JustAMacUser » 31 Jan 2015, 19:57

Ditching the updater code seems fine. Automated tags seems silly, especially by date since commits are already dated (viewable in git logs, etc.). The only time I think version tagging should take place is at major milestones, such as last year when you redid much of the front end CSS. This way it's easy to see significant overhauls in the code by just glancing.

peeraiR4
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby peeraiR4 » 01 Feb 2015, 19:34

I'm fine with using git, just one question: Do you have plans for or is there a channel through which users can be notified about important commits on git, e.g. commits that fix security issues?

To illustrate: I only found this thread because my tt-rss told me that the "tt-rss releases" feed is broken - apparently, it is gone.

fox

Postby fox » 01 Feb 2015, 20:14

This forum remains as useful as ever, I'm not sure if there's going to be some special mechanism in lieu of the previous updater, which might include something like that.

You can also see commit logs on github, not sure if there's an rss feed.

charlie-tca
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby charlie-tca » 01 Feb 2015, 20:27

I will say thanks for the great program. It's been fun. Since I have no desire to try and learn git at this point in my life, I will go find a new application for reading RSS feeds. I wish I could say I can stick around, but I will no longer say this is a great program for anyone to use. It has become a limited use application for developers and coders. Good luck with it.

TJ500
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby TJ500 » 01 Feb 2015, 20:40

peeraiR4
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby peeraiR4 » 01 Feb 2015, 20:48

Thank you TJ500, I'll give it a try.

And thank you fox for tt-rss, of course :-)

phz
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby phz » 01 Feb 2015, 22:07

fox wrote:You can also see commit logs on github, not sure if there's an rss feed.

Recent Commits to Tiny-Tiny-RSS:master should do for those who are interested.

Viewing your feeds [GitHub Help] has more information on some different available GitHub feeds.

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby JustAMacUser » 01 Feb 2015, 22:42

charlie-tca wrote:Since I have no desire to try and learn git at this point in my life, I will go find a new application for reading RSS feeds.

Did you see my earlier post in this thread?

http://tt-rss.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3262#p19306

It's literally two commands. I'll admit that using TT-RSS is not for people without web server experience, but Git is actually a lot easier to use than the built-in updater ever was.

fox

Postby fox » 01 Feb 2015, 22:54

i for one am happy that actively ignorant people may choose to not use tt-rss now

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 01 Feb 2015, 22:57

charlie-tca wrote:I will say thanks for the great program. It's been fun. Since I have no desire to try and learn git at this point in my life, I will go find a new application for reading RSS feeds. I wish I could say I can stick around, but I will no longer say this is a great program for anyone to use. It has become a limited use application for developers and coders. Good luck with it.

jeez, "git clone" and "git pull" too much for you to figure out?

Vaya con Dios, and may god help you if you ever have to learn anything complicated in your life.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 01 Feb 2015, 22:58

fox wrote:i for one am happy that actively ignorant people may choose to not use tt-rss now

is there some way you can figure out that requires a git clone before people can POST here???

martywd
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby martywd » 01 Feb 2015, 23:26

TJ500 wrote:https://github.com/gothfox/Tiny-Tiny-RSS/commits/master.atom

Thanks for that info. Much, much better way of keeping up with commits versus what I'd been routinely doing to check (git fetch).

unlogy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby unlogy » 02 Feb 2015, 02:32

I have no problems with changes with the update mechanism for TT-RSS, and using a system that's already in place seems like a no brainer to me.

Saying that, not everyone here is familiar with GIT and how to use it, and not everyone is a server master like some of you, but we can follow instructions.

In simple terms JustAMacUser's instructions were correct; thank you.

To install

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/gothfox/Tiny-Tiny-RSS tt-rss

To update:

Code: Select all

git pull

But it would have been nice to know more, like git will only clone to an empty directory, and that the last part of the command line was the name of the new directory, and that the pull command needs to be done from the same directory.

I'd also like to ask for a simpler update method instead of having to go through a terminal.

As always, Fox, thank you for your time and effort
sleeper_service, no response required

nwsc
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby nwsc » 02 Feb 2015, 05:08

I was able to migrate to the GIT distro but it wasn't just a clone/pull.
So here's what I encountered:
I copied my config.php from the original release to the git directory.
I noticed the updater stuff had been taken from the config.php-dist (duh!), so removed that by hand from my config.php. (will I always have to do this?)
Then when browsed to tt-rss, I got errors for permissions. Those were easy to fix (just copy paste the suggestions).
Next I got an error about "Your access level is insufficient to run this script". I was silly and looked in the FAQ which has some nonsense about "auth_remote enabled". That doesn't even exist in the config.php.
The clue was in the URL itself; I had to login to an admin account and allow the database schema to update. (Obviously the upgrade script couldn't run as a mere user.)

I know all of this will be obvious to the experts but hopefully it will help another novice like me.

I've used git a fair amount and I'm a little worried that the real excitement is yet to come when I do my first pull. :-)

Thanks for a great application.

Return to “Development”