Periodic releases are over

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
undefined
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Periodic releases are over

Postby undefined » 03 Mar 2015, 06:39

slooper wrote:The fact that there will be no more versions of this software makes it somewhat hard to keep it in Linux repositories.

Code: Select all

$ git clone https://github.com/gothfox/Tiny-Tiny-RSS
$ git describe --always
1.3.0-4513-g0c6f7b3

nope, there's still "versions" of ttrss.

$ dpkg -l | grep '[-+~]git' | head
ii  hamster-applet                              2.91.3+git20110714.9aefd7-2ubuntu3    time tracking applet for GNOME
ii  kerneloops-daemon                           0.12+git20090217-1ubuntu19            kernel oops tracker
ii  libasn1-8-heimdal                           1.6~git20120311.dfsg.1-2ubuntu0.1     Heimdal Kerberos - ASN.1 library
ii  libbluray1                                  1:0.2.1+git20111208.63e308d-3         Blu-ray disc playback support library (shared library)
ii  libgssapi3-heimdal                          1.6~git20120311.dfsg.1-2ubuntu0.1     Heimdal Kerberos - GSSAPI support library
ii  libhcrypto4-heimdal                         1.6~git20120311.dfsg.1-2ubuntu0.1     Heimdal Kerberos - crypto library
ii  libheimbase1-heimdal                        1.6~git20120311.dfsg.1-2ubuntu0.1     Heimdal Kerberos - Base library
ii  libheimntlm0-heimdal                        1.6~git20120311.dfsg.1-2ubuntu0.1     Heimdal Kerberos - NTLM support library
ii  libhx509-5-heimdal                          1.6~git20120311.dfsg.1-2ubuntu0.1     Heimdal Kerberos - X509 support library
ii  libkrb5-26-heimdal                          1.6~git20120311.dfsg.1-2ubuntu0.1     Heimdal Kerberos - libraries

seems like debian & ubuntu have no problems packaging git versions of software.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 03 Mar 2015, 07:54

slooper wrote: The fact that there will be no more versions of this software makes it somewhat hard to keep it in Linux repositories.

hmm, precious, *and* stooooopid.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 03 Mar 2015, 08:14

slooper wrote:Its sad to see you're forcing users to use git to update your software. Probably i am one of a few users installing TT-RSS from Linux repositories provided by my distribution. This way provides me with a simple solution to keep up to date with my whole system (and its web applications) without having to jump from directory to directory running git commands.

don't post here anymore

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 03 Mar 2015, 08:30

Well what he basically is saying here is that linux repo maintainers are idiots.

Which is nothing but the truth of course.

HunterZ
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby HunterZ » 03 Mar 2015, 08:53

I'm surprised to see all the resistance to Git, especially since it can make tarballs for those who are addicted to that method.

It's not like the previous release system was based around some super formal development process. I'm pretty sure fox just put out new releases more or less on a schedule, which probably worked out to be fairly arbitrary with respect to the state of the code.

AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby AngryChris » 03 Mar 2015, 09:31

HunterZ wrote:I'm surprised to see all the resistance to Git, especially since it can make tarballs for those who are addicted to that method.

It's not like the previous release system was based around some super formal development process. I'm pretty sure fox just put out new releases more or less on a schedule, which probably worked out to be fairly arbitrary with respect to the state of the code.

I'm not even sure it was on a schedule. The release history has something coming out anywhere from a couple days after the previous to 3 or 4 months after the previous. I think the "release schedule" was fox thinking "why the hell not?" and cutting a release whenever he felt like it.

One irony I find in all this is that I'm positive there have got to be Google Reader refugees among those resisting this (I'm one of the refugees, not one of the resistors). Why is this ironic? Because Google Reader was under constant development in production. The layout, behavior, and feature set of the software could change day to day. In effect, Google Reader was managed by Google as if it were a continuously checked out git repository.

What does this mean? It means that simply running "git pull" once a day gives you a more "Google Reader" like experience. I've not even put this in cron. I just run a script:

#!/bin/bash
cd /var/www/html/tt-rss/ ; git pull ; cd - >/dev/null 2>&1

...whenever I see a new item on the git checkin RSS feed. Normally I don't need do anything more. If there's a config.php change, I'll take a look at it.

This is way way easier than the tarballs. It's the way "development is done" these days. It's a way you're going to need to get used to for pretty much all software your distro maintainer doesn't provide in their repositories from here on out. And that's awesome! I love it!

fox

Postby fox » 03 Mar 2015, 10:09

it was 3-4 months unless there's a serious enough bug found right after release which would mean a hotfix, that's about it

in ye olde days it was once a month but not anymore

johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby johnnychicago » 03 Mar 2015, 13:06

It seems to me that the current setup pushes TT-RSS a bit more into the field of sysadmins - or people that understand and can do those tasks. At a certain point, especially with the automatic update routine, setting up the software on some shared hosting, Amazon AWS or similar would be the topic of a short how-to document that an end user would dare following, and be successful with.

We're not there anymore. While I agree that setting up git and pulling every now and then is not hard, it's a concept that the uninitiated may have trouble with. Which means that TT-RSS will be a harder thing for them to set up and use.

Not judging in any way here, just stating the (seemingly) obvious.

fox

Postby fox » 03 Mar 2015, 13:20

ah yes all the "uninitiated" who really want to install a self-hosted rss reader but just can't because dang, git is too hard

instead of you know hanging out on facebook or whatever and never caring about any of this shit

dedioste
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby dedioste » 03 Mar 2015, 13:44

fox wrote:you would probably be better off git syncing someplace better equipped and rsyncing to your shit hosting.

I am too one of the hellish spawns that uses Tiny Tiny RSS on a shared hosting.

I never used git up until this, it took me all of about half an hour to set it up updates with git (then I actually migrated my wordpress installation to use git updating too).

I had very good results using "Git ftp" ( https://github.com/git-ftp/git-ftp), makes everything simple and fast.
Updates take literally 2 commands, when i see something interesting in the commit feed.

IMHO, it is MUCH better now than with the tarball releases.

xtaz
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby xtaz » 03 Mar 2015, 13:48

FreeBSD has a package itself, similar to linux distros I guess and they seem to have happily managed to switch to git using the package framework: http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/ww ... iew=markup although it's pegged to a specific git commit and I guess they'll just be updating that commit occasionally. It's still easier though to just use git by itself. I don't really understand why you would bother with the package. How the hell are people complaining that running two different commands is hard.

johnnychicago
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby johnnychicago » 03 Mar 2015, 14:47

fox wrote:ah yes all the "uninitiated" who really want to install a self-hosted rss reader but just can't because dang, git is too hard

instead of you know hanging out on facebook or whatever and never caring about any of this shit

Well, that's obviously what a bunch of them do :) A few may have enough interest in the technology to learn, but probably not many.

But then, once everybody's on Facebook, sites will stop offering RSS feeds. Our bad :)

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 03 Mar 2015, 19:26

xtaz wrote:How the hell are people complaining that running two different commands is hard.

peepul are stooopid, by and large.

now and then you run into pockets of brightness.

when you do, pause and revel in your good fortune.

digineut
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby digineut » 06 Jun 2015, 21:10

Too bad the releases are over. I was conveniently using Installatron with my web hoster. Their version is still at 1.15.3. I'll see what I can do to manually upgrade periodically. I probably cannot run git with a cron tab on my VPS.

pahles
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby pahles » 06 Jun 2015, 22:01

For people on VPS or shared hosting, take a look at git-ftp: https://github.com/git-ftp/git-ftp. I'm not using it for TT-RSS myself, but it is really easy to setup.

Return to “Development”