Java library

Development-related discussion, including bundled plugins
bisoldi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Java library

Postby bisoldi » 24 Jan 2016, 22:53

I've done some searching and can't find anything. I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any Java libraries for interacting with TTRSS? Obviously, I know about the libraries used to develop for Android / iOS, but I'm integrating within a Java application, specifically an EE environment.

Thanks!

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Java library

Postby fox » 07 Feb 2016, 22:58

I'm not aware of one. You can see android app for API call examples, it's all very simple json over http anyway. I never bothered to make an abstraction layer/library because it seemed like too much effort.

If you have implementation questions or API documentation is unclear, ask and I'll try to help.

bisoldi
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby bisoldi » 09 Feb 2016, 07:16

Hi Fox, Thanks! My use-case is really limited in scope, all I needed to do was connect, get the number of unread items, retrieve the headlines and update to read. I just figured, if there is a library out there, it might do it better than I would and save the time of reinventing a wheel.

My only other question is, is there a way to get the articles published date instead of updated date? I don't see this datapoint anywhere in the API - I know this was "discussed" a few years ago and it was a SimplePie limitation. It seems SimplePie has added that functionality (https://github.com/simplepie/simplepie/pull/288) and I was wondering if that's something there is any interest in implementing in TinyRSS?

Thanks again.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 09 Feb 2016, 09:44

tt-rss hasn't been using simplepie for years now and the pr you linked deals with some simplepie specific bug on a seemingly broken feed containing both atom and rss tags which is no longer available anyway, so i'm not sure how relevant this link is.

however tt-rss does use rss:pubDate for rss feeds if available with fallback to dc:date, for atom feeds though it prefers updated to published if both are present. i don't think tracking published timestamp separately makes a lot of sense, only a subset of a subset of feeds even has this data and timestamps in feeds are regularly garbage to begin with, which is why tt-rss doesn't really trust them in any significant way. i'm not really seeing the point.

if the feed is broken and changes updated all the time or something like that, it's not going to break sorting within tt-rss, and if the feed has two legit timestamps i think updated is the more relevant one to show in the UI.

so i guess the tl;dr anwer is no, there is no interest to implement separate published dates in tt-rss

Return to “Development”