Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

[PATCH] Third-party library upgrades

Postby andersk » 21 Jan 2017, 02:02

87829d5b lib: Upgrade Prototype from 1.7 to 1.7.3
7773cade lib: Upgrade php-gettext from 1.0.11 to 1.0.12
67c5b552 lib: Upgrade accept-to-gettext.php from 2003-08-14 to 2007-04-01
d0e2f960 lib: Upgrade JShrink from 0.5.1 to 1.1.0
e42273ba lib: Upgrade mobile-detect from svn r44 (2012-05-03) to 2.8.24 (2016-11-11)
003fdd8a lib: Upgrade php-publisher from ??? to a5d6a0e (2016-11-15)
f6559c43 lib: Upgrade php-subscriber from ??? to 1213f89 (2016-11-15)
f8166881 lib: Upgrade script.aculo.us from 1.8.3 to 1.9.0
4f18ea52 lib: Upgrade timezones.txt from 2010k/l/m/n/2011a to 2016j

I’m working on Dojo too but that needs some extra compatibility work, so I’ll start with the easy ones.

https://github.com/andersk/Tiny-Tiny-RS ... b-upgrades

(I’ve contributed to TT-RSS a few times before but I don’t have development privileges at the new GitLab. I’m happy to submit this as a proper merge request if given those privileges; my user name is andersk.)

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: [PATCH] Third-party library upgrades

Postby fox » 21 Jan 2017, 09:55

the question i want you to ask yourself is why do you want to upgrade. does this library work correctly within tt-rss now? are there any exploitable issues that need to be fixed? upgrading for the sake of upgrading is a good way to introduce new problems and it is not going to help anyone.

also

1. if you gonna file merge requests at some point those have to be separate for each specific library
2. don't even bother with dojo, as far as i know later versions have removed a lot of stuff tt-rss uses (i.e. data- prefixes using a completely different syntax) for retarded reasons (hurr durr html5) and i'm not rewriting half the UI because of this.

that said i'm giving you developer privileges on gitlab, expecting that you will think the above over before starting to spam merge requests.

fox

Postby fox » 21 Jan 2017, 12:20

re: dojo i think i had half-functional 1.10 branch on tt-rss.org not sure if that will be of any help though

trammel
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby trammel » 23 Jan 2017, 07:43

I think this commit broke something: 003fdd8a lib: Upgrade php-publisher from ??? to a5d6a0e (2016-11-15)

I'm getting exceptions saying that the Subscriber class can't be found. Between the two versions of subscriber.php => Subscriber.php, the class is now namespaced. Explicitly referencing the class fixed it for me.

Code: Select all

diff --git a/include/rssfuncs.php b/include/rssfuncs.php
index fbb26ef..bc0a06c 100644
--- a/include/rssfuncs.php
+++ b/include/rssfuncs.php
@@ -600,7 +600,7 @@
                                        $callback_url = get_self_url_prefix() .
                                                "/public.php?op=pubsub&id=$feed";

-                                       $s = new Subscriber($feed_hub_url, $callback_url);
+                                       $s = new Pubsubhubbub\Subscriber\Subscriber($feed_hub_url, $callback_url);

$rc = $s->subscribe($feed_self_url);

fox

Postby fox » 23 Jan 2017, 08:16

thanks, but please consider using gitlab in the future

fox

Postby fox » 23 Jan 2017, 08:59

by the way, pubsubhubbub looks pretty dead to me, after doing some cursory googling. personally i have literally zero feeds using it.

do we really need this code at this point? anyone?

trammel
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby trammel » 23 Jan 2017, 11:41

fox wrote:thanks, but please consider using gitlab in the future

Sure, but do you mean to create an issue, or a merge request? Because I can't fork the project on gitlab currently, as I would on github. The gitlab docs suggest creating a fork and push those changes to a branch off my fork, or a branch of the main repo on gitlab to create a merge request.

trammel
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby trammel » 23 Jan 2017, 11:49

fox wrote:by the way, pubsubhubbub looks pretty dead to me, after doing some cursory googling. personally i have literally zero feeds using it.

do we really need this code at this point? anyone?

There's two in my feed I think.

Foreign Policy, http://foreignpolicy.com/category/passport/feed/
Chublic Opinion, https://chublicopinion.com/feed/

fox

Postby fox » 23 Jan 2017, 12:10

trammel wrote:

Sure, but do you mean to create an issue, or a merge request? Because I can't fork the project on gitlab currently, as I would on github. The gitlab docs suggest creating a fork and push those changes to a branch off my fork, or a branch of the main repo on gitlab to create a merge request.

https://tt-rss.org/gitlab/fox/tt-rss/wi ... Contribute

trammel
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby trammel » 23 Jan 2017, 12:33

fox wrote:
trammel wrote:

https://tt-rss.org/gitlab/fox/tt-rss/wi ... Contribute

OK. Can I be a developer please? The username is 'trammel'

(Off-topic, but do you ever think that having to manually approve simply _applications_ for people to contribute, before they've actually done anything is a little bit troublesome? I suspect a lot of github's success is that it's been incredibly good at removing friction and enabling people to make pull requests, even stupid ones, incredibly easy.)

fox

Postby fox » 23 Jan 2017, 14:16

Off-topic, but do you ever think that having to manually approve simply _applications_ for people to contribute, before they've actually done anything is a little bit troublesome? I suspect a lot of github's success is that it's been incredibly good at removing friction and enabling people to make pull requests, even stupid ones, incredibly easy.)

oh definitely, github made it very easy for any fuckwit out there to file pull requests.

my position on this is as follows: if registering and asking for permission is too much effort, i'm not interested in their contribution. they can go back to github or tumblr or whatever, i don't really care.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 23 Jan 2017, 19:31

trammel wrote:enabling people to make pull requests, even stupid ones, incredibly easy.)

and, how can you possibly think this is a good thing?

fox

Postby fox » 23 Jan 2017, 19:51

methinks we here are not being inclusive enough *shocked face in absolute silence*

trammel
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby trammel » 24 Jan 2017, 01:13

Thanks for fixing this. My suggested patch missed a bunch of other places in the code with the same problem.

trammel
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby trammel » 24 Jan 2017, 01:20

sleeper_service wrote:
trammel wrote:enabling people to make pull requests, even stupid ones, incredibly easy.)

and, how can you possibly think this is a good thing?

Because friction is a real thing and you have to weigh up the cost/benefit trade-off between rejecting stupid ideas and the opportunity cost of not receiving patches and improvements because developers perceive the process as being too difficult and the community too unwelcoming. It's like the Parable of the Broken Window.

You'll obviously never see the things that didn't happen, while it's easy to measure how much time is taken dealing with stupid people.

Additionally, there's friction and work involved for fox who has to manually approve developer applications.

Return to “Development”