Thank You for Tiny Tiny RSS

sirkingchase
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Thank You for Tiny Tiny RSS

Postby sirkingchase » 31 Mar 2013, 07:07

Thanks for kicking Google Readers ASS!

I have been enjoying this for the last week, I am one of the black sheep that google decided they were not interested in keeping. Shame on them because now Im making it an initiative to get completely off their tit.

I was very concerned that I was not going to find anything close to the experience I got from google reader. I did not want to be tide down to an "RSS compatible" app, ex. using thunderbird to access RSS feeds. It was very convenient to be able to sign into any computer or smart phone to access my feeds, not to mention the hundreds of apps that support it.

You guys hit the nail on the head with this, it has everything that I liked about google reader and we got an awesome android app! I love how the open source community beats a trillion dollar company`s crap. Google cant even hold a candle to this. While google is pulling out of RSS this community is thriving.

I applaud you guys for taking me in with open arms after google **** all over me.

And to top it off Tiny RSS uses mysql so I got piece of mind know my feeds list is backup up ( I run weekly dumps).

I am a Software Developer, I created an ios app for my University while in college. I know how to make one. I do not have time to create one from scratch, however Id love to contribute to one if someone whats to make it. They are very easy and fun to make, I surprised no one has done it yet, I assume because of the complications with GPL. I moved away from ios and apple because we do not share the same values but my wife still has hers.

joseph-mx
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby joseph-mx » 31 Mar 2013, 13:40

rss reader is a saviour! consolidate all the stuffs we want to track in one place! that is the magic of it. :mrgreen:

skippyscage
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby skippyscage » 03 Apr 2013, 00:24

just to add my voice here - another Google refugee. Installed tt-rss on my server under a sub domain, and after a few days tweaking, I'd say it's a far nicer product than GR. Superb and now I have control. I will send a donation later.

jareddd
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby jareddd » 03 Apr 2013, 00:51

Quick question. Where in the config.php file did you find the digest piece. I'm looking at it now and the only thing that references digest is related to the email summary. Thanks

ibreakcellphones
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ibreakcellphones » 03 Apr 2013, 01:21

Let me shovel more kudos your way, fox. Thank you for helping me get even more use out of my wife's old laptop.

bedouin
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby bedouin » 04 Apr 2013, 19:59

jareddd wrote:Quick question. Where in the config.php file did you find the digest piece. I'm looking at it now and the only thing that references digest is related to the email summary. Thanks

Line 183 (in 1.7.5 config.php anyway). Add digest to the list of plugins there.

alvanorichie
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby alvanorichie » 11 Apr 2013, 15:36

joseph-mx wrote:rss reader is a Savior!

Yeah, Real Savior :D

lyallp
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby lyallp » 11 Apr 2013, 17:02

Thought I would add my own thanks.
I also am a refugee from google and have setup my own tt-rss on my own subdomain.
I don't miss google reader at all!

raindog469
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby raindog469 » 11 Apr 2013, 19:03

I came here as a Google Reader refugee, and yeah, I wrote a plugin to remap some keys to make the experience more like theirs. But by the end of the first weekend using it, I already liked it better than Google Reader. I can't believe TT-RSS on our old workstation with a single-core processor and 384MB of RAM could be faster than GR was, but somehow it is, and the mobile options (at least on Android) work better for me than what I had before, too, without even using an app.

Thanks a lot, fox. Payday's coming and I'll be shooting some your way.

firewyre
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby firewyre » 17 Apr 2013, 01:27

I have to agree, many thanks Fox & well done! I was considering writing something similar on my own when the Google Reader shutdown was announced but all of your hard work saved me the trouble. Runs perfectly on my Synology DS1511+ :D

joseph-mx
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby joseph-mx » 19 Apr 2013, 05:30

lyallp wrote:Thought I would add my own thanks.
I also am a refugee from google and have setup my own tt-rss on my own subdomain.
I don't miss google reader at all!

lol!
agree!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mercier
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mercier » 19 Apr 2013, 17:15

thanks from another greader refugee. though, i left them the day they removed sharing, which i hope to get with ttrss.

chillzilla
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby chillzilla » 19 Apr 2013, 18:25

Yes! Another Google Reader refugee as well. Wanted to thank the developers for allowing me to have such control over my feeds in a very cool, cross-platform way. TT-RSS is awesome, and I can't imagine my RSS without it now.

expatrick
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby expatrick » 09 May 2013, 18:39

You know I must have wanted to say thank you if I created an account to do so!

THANK YOU. I am blown away. I needed a Google Reader alternative - I didn't know I'd end up with something BETTER.

Installation was a snap (once I gave up on apt-get package and just grabbed the tarball).

Just, wow.

Patrick

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 10 May 2013, 02:46

expatrick wrote:You know I must have wanted to say thank you if I created an account to do so!

THANK YOU. I am blown away. I needed a Google Reader alternative - I didn't know I'd end up with something BETTER.

Installation was a snap (once I gave up on apt-get package and just grabbed the tarball).

Just, wow.

Patrick

running trunk (via git clone) is even easier than the tarball ;)

Return to “Everything else”