Updating Feeds - for non coders

randompherret
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Updating Feeds - for non coders

Postby randompherret » 25 Feb 2014, 22:47

hmaier wrote:OS is linux server. Not sure about php directory. ttrss is in a subfolder of my domain.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 25 Feb 2014, 22:56

dbanet wrote:@hmaier

Well I think you should first familiarize yourself with the OS that you use, and then try to find where did you install php and tt-rss, cuz I have absolutely NO idea.

pretty sure he didn't install anything, he just waved his arms around a bit till he accidentially clicked on something on some shared hosting thingydoo...

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 25 Feb 2014, 22:58

hmaier wrote:No help yet.

the problem with you 'waaah, I don't know nuthing, explain it to me like I'm 5' "people" is that you mental 5 year olds shouldn't be playing with computers, you should be in the coal mines, putting in an honest days labor, not bothering the adults with your whiny attempts at questions.

hmaier
Always Laughs Last

Postby hmaier » 26 Feb 2014, 00:04

sleeper_service wrote:
hmaier wrote:No help yet.

the problem with you 'waaah, I don't know nuthing, explain it to me like I'm 5' "people"

We still got gold in hockey. Another reason to laugh last...

But seriously, that's actually exactly what I'm asking for - hence the title "for non coders".

We want to subscribe to our shopify orders using rss. ttrss is the only self-hosted rss client I could find that can access rss feeds that require authentication.

I figured out how to get it running, then resubscribed to the rss that ttrss generated.

Now I am able to subscribe to that rss in google docs.

The one final step I need to complete is to be able to update the feeds.

If someone can post a link that shows how and where to "run: php ./update.php --daemon" that would be enough.
Last edited by hmaier on 26 Feb 2014, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

charlie-tca
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby charlie-tca » 26 Feb 2014, 00:07

Personally, as a non-coder, I find google very good for first gathering everything I can find and reading it. Then, if I can't understand what the hell they said, I find a different application or method to do what I am attempting. This method has served me very well for over 8 years using linux now.

hmaier
Always Laughs Last

Postby hmaier » 26 Feb 2014, 00:10

charlie-tca wrote:Personally, as a non-coder, I find google very good for first gathering everything I can find and reading it. Then, if I can't understand what the hell they said, I find a different application or method to do what I am attempting. This method has served me very well for over 8 years using linux now.

How about coming to a forum hosted on the site that has a wiki tab next to a issues tab and says "...while feeling as close to a real desktop application as possible." on their homepage?

... that has a help page with a installation guide, admin guide, user guide, and developer guide?

All this trouble for a tiny rss aggregator?

And still no one here can explain the one last step to get it running? really?

charlie-tca
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby charlie-tca » 26 Feb 2014, 00:18

http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-r ... atingFeeds
is what I used to make my system update ttrss automatically.

charlie-tca
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby charlie-tca » 26 Feb 2014, 00:19

With that said now, I can sit back, eat my popcorn, and enjoy this forum. It usually provides great entertainment, but today is better than normal!

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Postby fox » 26 Feb 2014, 00:29

hmaier wrote:How about coming to a forum hosted on the site that has a wiki tab next to a issues tab and says "...while feeling as close to a real desktop application as possible." on their homepage?

... that has a help page with a installation guide, admin guide, user guide, and developer guide?

The last step has been inside you all along. Specifically, your anus.

hmaier
Always Laughs Last

Postby hmaier » 26 Feb 2014, 00:31

charlie-tca wrote:http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki/UpdatingFeeds
is what I used to make my system update ttrss automatically.

If someone else can post a link that shows how and where to "run: php ./update.php --daemon" that would be enough.

fox

Postby fox » 26 Feb 2014, 00:31

hmaier wrote:We want to subscribe to our shopify orders using rss. ttrss is the only self-hosted rss client I could find that can access rss feeds that require authentication.

Maybe one of your headmates knows PHP, try asking around your head a bit, report back.

fox

Postby fox » 26 Feb 2014, 00:33

hmaier wrote:If someone else can post a link that shows how and where to "run: php ./update.php --daemon" that would be enough.

I would suggest your Linux Server OS unless you have other ideas of course. Nobody is kinkshaming here.

hmaier
Always Laughs Last

Postby hmaier » 26 Feb 2014, 00:37

How about a screenshot of "php ./update.php --daemon" being written?

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 26 Feb 2014, 00:38

charlie-tca wrote:Personally, as a non-coder, I find google very good for first gathering everything I can find and reading it. Then, if I can't understand what the hell they said, I find a different application or method to do what I am attempting. This method has served me very well for over 8 years using linux now.

I think that you've realized the ability to 1) think for yourself, and 2) do some research, and 3) put things together.

and you've also noticed that you don't have to be a coder to use linux, but having some sense helps ;)

keep it up!

AngryChris
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby AngryChris » 26 Feb 2014, 00:42

hmaier wrote:

How about coming to a forum hosted on the site that has a wiki tab next to a issues tab and says "...while feeling as close to a real desktop application as possible." on their homepage?

It's not a "tiny rss aggregator." It's a Unix based SaaS application that provides an RSS aggregation service. This means that knowledge of Unix and the middleware necessary for running the application are assumed. I could provide you with an upstart job suitable to run the updater on Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS but since you're using MySQL (and I've no idea what Linux you're using), it won't work for you. You may want to contract a Linux consultant to configure the software for you.

Code: Select all

# tt-rss - Tiny Tiny RSS
#
# This job runs the feed updater for Tiny Tiny RSS.  This is not the main
# application itself, this is merely the feed update daemon.

description     "Tiny Tiny RSS feed updater"
author          "AngryChris"

start on runlevel [2345] and (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo)
stop on runlevel [!2345]

respawn

setuid www-data
setgid www-data

pre-start script
    test -x /var/www/tt-rss/update_daemon2.php || { stop; exit 0; }
    test -c /dev/null || { stop; exit 0; }
    test -f /run/postgresql/9.1-main.pid || sleep 30
end script

exec /var/www/tt-rss/update_daemon2.php

Return to “Comedy bistro”