Updating TTRSS on hosting

If you run tt-rss on an officially unsupported platform (shared hosting, Windows, etc.) post here
michalurban
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Updating TTRSS on hosting

Postby michalurban » 15 Jul 2014, 20:39

Hi,

I had been sucessfully using TTRSS on my home server. Updating had been done via CRON:
*/10 * * * * /usr/bin/php /home/michal/D/WWW/domains/rss/update.php --feeds --quiet

After a HW failure of my computer I paid a web hosting which doesnt allow to set CRON directly. The only way is to use web interface to set CRON to run a PHP script. So, I can run something like this:
script.php?par1=value&par2=value2

but nothing like this:
update.php --feeds --quiet

I tried running update_daemon2.php and update.php but with no sucess ... Now I dont know how should I update my feeds.

Some people suggested I should use the web interface to run a script containing the following text but it didnt help:
http://www.your-site.xxx/tt-rss/backend ... s&daemon=1

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Updating TTRSS on hosting

Postby fox » 15 Jul 2014, 21:16

Don't post shared hosting questions in support.

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby JustAMacUser » 16 Jul 2014, 01:32

michalurban wrote:After a HW failure of my computer I paid a web hosting which doesnt allow to set CRON directly. The only way is to use web interface to set CRON to run a PHP script.

Perhaps sharing the name of the hosting company will help someone here provide assistance.

In truth, though, if you cannot have more control over your cron tasks, you should probably move to another host.

davidm
Plays it by ear

Postby davidm » 22 Jul 2014, 13:45

You can try the obsolete method:

http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-r ... dsObsolete

In my case, eventually I ended up moving to a host that allowed me to use commands in CRON, not only URLs.

palco
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby palco » 11 Feb 2015, 12:20

This question is raher old one, but following could give a clue someone running in this kind of trouble (hosing restricts passing parameters to php script in cron):
- create a "wrapper" script (let's call it update_my.php) in your tt-rss directory containing sometnig like this:

Code: Select all

<?php
  if (isset($argv))
  {
    $argv[] = '--feeds';
  } else
  {
    $argv = array('dummy', '--feeds');
  }
  require_once "update.php";
?>

- schedule executing of update_my.php in cron