Scratching some itches of people who used and liked GReader

Support requests, bug reports, etc. go here. Dedicated servers / VDS hosting only
nic
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Scratching some itches of people who used and liked GReader

Postby nic » 28 Aug 2012, 18:36

Hi,

we (me and my friend Jan) switched to self-hosted RSS-reading using tt-rss from Google Reader. However, we missed three things that we now have re-built for use with tt-rss:

• Share any web-page you are browsing with a bookmarklet, even though you're not subscribed to the website's feed in tt-rss[\*]
  • Put a widget on your website that shows the latest items from tt-rss' public shared feed [\*]
  • import your historic starred and/or shared items from Google Reader into tt-rss. [\*]

The first two features are done with Javascript/PHP code that is put on your web-server next to tt-rss. The third is a simple conversion script from Googles JSON-export file into SQL statements. The first and third feature make use of a manually inserted feed in tt-rss that simply holds all articles that did not come into tt-rss via a an RSS-subscription.

It has become a little pet project over time, but now we are using it since a while and are very happy with it. I figured some people on this forum might want to use some of its functionality, as well.
We summarised the contribution at http://gritttt-rss.nicolashoening.de/ (with pictures!) and the code is at https://github.com/nhoening/gritttt-rss.

If you use it, let us know. Also let us know if there are any problems (we know of some: https://github.com/nhoening/gritttt-rss/issues?state=open).

-Nic

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Scratching some itches of people who used and liked GRea

Postby fox » 09 Sep 2012, 19:57

Just wanted to note that sharing random stuff is now possible in trunk: http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-r ... reAnything

nic
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby nic » 10 Sep 2012, 01:14

Ah okay. Maybe I could have asked you if something like that was in the pipeline. Or if it was mentioned somewhere before, I just didn't see it. I just totally didn't expect it to be in the pipeline. Now we both implemented roughly the same functionality :( (Of course, sharing from the Android App is very cool. I myself am a user of the other one currently, but this might make me reconsider. Or install both.)
Ah well - where in the code should I look to find this functionality to take a peak? I'm not good yet at finding things in the repository.

Anyway, the other things we wrote, the shared-widget and the import-function from Google are also nice :) (where the latter might be improvable if I find out how you now store random links in the tt-rss DB).

fox

Postby fox » 10 Sep 2012, 01:24

Changes are at https://github.com/gothfox/Tiny-Tiny-RS ... ad81fae0a2 + next few commits

Of course, sharing from the Android App is very cool. I myself am a user of the other one currently, but this might make me reconsider.

Sharing is done by a separate app, you can use that with either clients.

Ah okay. Maybe I could have asked you if something like that was in the pipeline.

Oh there is no pipeline, there's just me being sufficiently bored. :)

nic
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby nic » 11 Sep 2012, 18:47

Sharing is done by a separate app, you can use that with either clients.

Not sure I understand. To be clear: There will be a third app in the market, in addition to the two apps for reading, with the only purpose of sharing any website? Or is an "app" sthg else than a client here?

Oh there is no pipeline, there's just me being sufficiently bored.

Ok then, it seems I provided some inspiration to fight your boredom (seeming as you did this very recently :) ) It's a nice feature. No idea how many people actually care for their shared-articles feed, but I really do. I'm looking forward to testing your implementation, but in the next two weeks, I'll be on vacation...

fox

Postby fox » 11 Sep 2012, 19:34

Not sure I understand. To be clear: There will be a third app in the market, in addition to the two apps for reading, with the only purpose of sharing any website?

Yes, https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... hare.ttrss

The link is right there in the wiki, btw. :)

nic
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby nic » 11 Sep 2012, 20:33

The link is right there in the wiki, btw.

Yeah, sorry. I assumed it would be a link to the android client.

Anyway, awesome. I recently sat on the loo and wanted exactly this app. Now it's there :)

fox

Postby fox » 11 Sep 2012, 21:25

I recently sat on the loo and wanted exactly this app.

Toilet musings. Serious business!

nic
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby nic » 11 Sep 2012, 21:31

What are smart phones for, anyway, right?

puzo
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby puzo » 14 Mar 2013, 16:34

nic wrote:
The link is right there in the wiki, btw.

Yeah, sorry. I assumed it would be a link to the android client.

Anyway, awesome. I recently sat on the loo and wanted exactly this app. Now it's there :)

Well you managed to share from the toilet then ;) :lol:

nic
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby nic » 14 Mar 2013, 17:16

Btw, the Google Reader import can probably be simplified a bit. I required that you make a dedicated feed into which the GReader articles are imported (and which is also used for articles shared with the sharing feature I wrote). Fox then made his own sharing functionality in tt-rss, which doesn't need a dedicated feed (maybe it sets the feed_id to NULL or so, not sure). This is just to put thin information out there, having an extra feed in the database hurts no one, actually, and is easy to do (I also provide the SQL for that).

fox

Postby fox » 14 Mar 2013, 18:01

Yeah you should be able to just use NULL and it will end up in in Archived articles.

Edit: what would be great is reworking this as a proper plugin.

nic
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby nic » 15 Mar 2013, 17:08

I changed the import code such that this NULL thing is possible. I also fixed a rare issue with uncomplete export data that someone notified me of and updated the code to accept the filenames of Googles export, which they updated since I last ran this.

How could the import become a plugin of tt-rss? I guess the import.py script needs to be rewritten in PHP and hooked into the main application. Furthermore, you'd need the functionality (a form) to upload the exported JSON (starred.json and/or shared.json), which users can export from Google.

fox

Postby fox » 15 Mar 2013, 17:25

It should be quite easy. You can see example plugins on how to add a panel in preferences and process user input. I did uploading for OPML import using invisible iframe but that kinda sucks now and I suppose newer file upload api would be better for this.

andrejg
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby andrejg » 15 Mar 2013, 21:53

Hi nic, I tried using your greader-import script - the .sql file is generated ok, unfortunately it fails when I try to execute it with "ERROR 1364 (HY000) at line 3: field 'content_hash' doesn't have a default value".

This happens for at least two tables: ttrs_entries (column content_hash) and ttrs_user_entries (columns uuid and tag_cache). I changed the default values of content_hash and uuid to some string and the first INSERT INTO ttrss_entries completes successfully, the insert statement that follows, INSERT INTO ttrss_user_entries, fails however, since the column tag_cache can't be set to have a default value...
I could change your python script so that it generates some random value for those columns, though I'm not really sure how wise is that :P.

Do you have any suggestions?

Tiny Tiny RSS's version is 1.7.2, it's installed on Windows, if it makes any difference.

Return to “Support”