Request: Make the Android client available on Kindle Fire

Request new functionality here
wideaperture
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Request: Make the Android client available on Kindle Fire

Postby wideaperture » 27 Jun 2013, 18:34

I have a first-generation Kindle Fire and I'd love to be able to use it with the slick-looking native Android app for TT-RSS (without rooting the tablet). Since the vast majority of the crap in Amazon's Kindle Fire App Store consists of extant Android applications sporting few or no changes, it seems like making the app available to Kindle Fire users would be a simple matter of submitting the existing app to Amazon. According to the Amazon Developer FAQ for Fire, while there will eventually be a $99 annual developer fee, it's currently being waived to spur participation. And personally I'd happily pay between two and 10 bucks for the app, or if you prefer make an equivalent PayPal donation, were the software to become available on Amazon.

Edit: grammar

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Request: Make the Android client available on Kindle Fir

Postby fox » 27 Jun 2013, 18:52

I'm sorry for your gimped device, maybe choose something with android market next time.

wideaperture
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby wideaperture » 27 Jun 2013, 19:11

Fair enough.

hrk
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby hrk » 27 Jun 2013, 19:52

If Kindle Fire allows you to install apk files, you can check out http://www.greader.co/beta/.

EDIT: Looks like tt-rss support was removed and migrated to News+ app: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/g_reader/fNwf_UvqpCQ

wideaperture
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby wideaperture » 29 Jun 2013, 00:55

hrk: Thanks much! News+ isn't yet available through the Kindle Fire app store, but I'll be on the lookout for it. Pretty sure I shouldn't have a problem loading apk files, but Amazon's disabled sideloading so I'll have to wait until the app itself is officially available.

joseph-mx
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby joseph-mx » 30 Jun 2013, 11:51

i remember kindle isn't android friendly ..
kindle like to be 'alone'.. by amazon :evil:

Regards,
Mxhub Reader
http://www.mxhub.com/reader/

fox

Postby fox » 21 Nov 2013, 00:46

Welp, I have finally bothered to register and submit the app to amazon app store. It seemed to work fine on a virtual device. Assuming it will go through their bullshit approval process, I'm going to mention some differences wrt google market:

1. The app is free because I can't be bothered to deal with amazon stone-age cheque shit (seriously, the fuck am I supposed to do with this? wipe my butt?) therefore consider donating to support my ever-dwindling drink-myself-into-oblivion-because-android-ecosystem-is-lovecraftian-grade-horror funds;

2. I don't own any kindle tablet devices so if it's something that works on an avd but broken on device, I can't really do anything to fix it I'm afraid;

3. I'm not sure whether they rescinded the $100 annual fee or not, but I'm definitely not paying anything to host a fucking free app on a store I don't personally use;

4. I'm only making it available on actual kindle devices because they don't have android market access, everyone else should either compile themselves because of freedom or w/e or use market.

windy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby windy » 11 Sep 2014, 23:58

What is the status of this? I bought the app from the Play Store for my smartphone, but I cannot find any TT-RSS app in the Amazon store.

fox

Postby fox » 12 Sep 2014, 00:14

It was up for some time (several weeks, I think) but then I removed it because lack of user interest (i.e. literally zero installs) made maintaining a slightly different APK a too much effort kinda situation. Being unable to receive any payments certainly didn't help either.

I mean, I don't even own any android kindles, so it's not like I would even need it up there to dogfood it.

Google tells me you can sideload APKs to kindles so you can just do that, I guess. It should work fine.

windy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby windy » 12 Sep 2014, 00:28

Sideloading APKs to a Kindle device is possible, but only for free apps. However, the unlocker "app" is not free, so I would have to reinstall every week...

fox

Postby fox » 12 Sep 2014, 00:44

There's no drm or anything it's an exactly same APK. If it's because you rip a paid app from the phone in a different way or w/e I can just PM you a normal APK for it.

windy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby windy » 12 Sep 2014, 00:47

Thanks for the offer! I will try to copy both APK's on the weekend. If this renders unsuccessful, I will let you know!

windy
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby windy » 15 Sep 2014, 23:53

Okay, I managed to find the paid APKs in the storage of my rooted smartphone. Copied them to the Kindle Fire, works like a charm!

Return to “Feature requests”