Performance boost for collapsed view

Request new functionality here
levito
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Performance boost for collapsed view

Postby levito » 21 Oct 2013, 05:47

Hi again,

in collapsed view, all article content is already there. It's only hidden. This does affect scrolling/loading performance pretty much, because you scroll a lot more articles at once compared to expanded mode. Compare the jank to the the speed of traditional 3 pane layout and you'll see what I mean.

I experimented with wrapping the article content in HTML comments and uncomment it via JS when expanding an article - this improves things quite a bit but it's pretty hacky. At least images and other assets are only loaded when expanding an article, but you still have to load a lot of text.

Would it be possible to only fetch article contents via Ajax when an article is expanded, just like in 3 pane layout?

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Performance boost for collapsed view

Postby fox » 21 Oct 2013, 08:58

That's how it worked before and it was actually slower at least when moving between articles because of network roundtrip to show an article. I tend to think reading is more important than competitive scrolling tournaments (even though I don't see any "jank" in that area either tbh) so it's not going to be reverted.

Return to “Feature requests”