combined feed display marking a feed read

Request new functionality here
pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

combined feed display marking a feed read

Postby pcause » 21 Mar 2016, 19:49

Currently, in combined feed display at the category level, when you mark a feed read by clicking on that text on the right hand side of the feed title, it seems that the entire category is refreshed. Could you perhaps just mark the items for that feed as read, in the background as you do for mark read on scrolling, and hide the items between the title and the next title. This makes it a bit smoother experience and likely saves some amount of database traffic.

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: combined feed display marking a feed read

Postby fox » 21 Mar 2016, 20:59

selectively modifying the buffer like that is kind of too much effort imo, i dunno if its worth the trouble

e: also, i'm assuming you're talking about the headlines-grouped-by-feed thing which is honestly a redheaded stepchild kinda thing

fox

Postby fox » 21 Mar 2016, 21:41

on second thought, try this:

https://tt-rss.org/gitlab/fox/tt-rss/co ... 7726a27c24

this assumes that there are unread headlines loaded otherwise the button does nothing, which might not be the best idea, i'll correct this in the next patch so that background request is sent anyway

pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby pcause » 21 Mar 2016, 22:04

just tried it and seems to work and solves it for me. thanks fox.

pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby pcause » 22 Mar 2016, 00:18

this is a good quick place holder. the thing I also wanted was to make the list of items disappear. i sometimes get to a feed when scrolling and i know I want to skip it and not scroll through 70 items. so if we can mark them read and also hide them, i save scrolling and read quicker. seems all of the items in the feed are contained in <div> tags and have orig-feed-id set to the id passed to catchupfeedingroup, so couldn't you find those items in the dom and set visible to false?

fox

Postby fox » 22 Mar 2016, 10:23

setting visible to false is not enough otherwise this breaks keyboard navigation which can't really assume elements to be visible at all times, so we have to remove the items from DOM. which causes multiple UI problems.

1) hiding focused article breaks keyboard navigation, not hiding it looks kinda dumb

2) imagine a headline buffer

feed A (mark as read)
=============

feed B (mark as read)
=============

we click on mark as read on feed B, removing its articles from the buffer. then we scroll down and depending on overall unread state of the selected view this can cause various confusing outcomes: headlines from feed B or some other feed load (or not).

with some creative loaded buffer manipulation we can even put infinite scrolling requests to cycle indefinitely, etc

tldr you'll have to endure how it works now

e: maybe the visibility thing will work out though but so far idk

fox

Postby fox » 22 Mar 2016, 10:35

also do we hide the feed heading or not

if we don't, it looks kinda dumb

if we do and its the last heading in the list, potentially lazy-loaded headlines may load without proper heading, so this also needs to be handled

the whole thing gets into too much effort for little gain territory really fast

upd: played around with this some more and hiding just doesn't feel right :(

pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby pcause » 22 Mar 2016, 15:31

Thanks Fox. I agree that not hiding the feed header looks kind of dumb but that happens a lot in tt-rss as I'm scrolling a big category and when I scroll I get new updates and see feed headers with no items, so I am used to that. Am I understanding correctly that it you remove the items it breaks things? I do see the race condition with lazy loading, but if you know that you can leave the feed header otherwise remove it. So you remove items first, then if not lazy loading the feed remove the header.

Anyway, thansk for trying. The effort is appreciated.

fox

Postby fox » 22 Mar 2016, 23:11

removing is definitely out, i'll experiment with hiding stuff

the amount of headache i got from this single feature, it really was a mistake adding it

e: current approach: hide rows except for active article so that keyboard navigation is not reset, hide feed titles unless its the last one in the buffer

feedback welcome

pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby pcause » 23 Mar 2016, 00:30

Just tried the latest and it is perfect. Thanks. Tried with a feed where the title was at the bottom and items off screen, didn't screw anything up. Really appreciate the effort Fox and sorry it was such a pain.

Return to “Feature requests”