Questions about http://online.tt-rss.org go here
ginahoy
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

problem with feed from NY Times

Postby ginahoy » 09 Sep 2010, 20:42

Fox, I'm having trouble with this feed from the NY Times:

http://feeds.nytimes.com/nyt/rss/Space

I checked this feed in the Google reader and noticed there were a number articles I had not seen. I did a quick count, and over the last 3 months, Google Reader shows more than 3 dozen articles in this feed, but only 6 were picked up by tt-rss.

Please take a look at this and see if you can isolate the problem. If it turns out to be a problem with the feed, let me know the details and I'll pass the information along to the technical gurus at the NYT.

Thanks,
David

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: problem with feed from NY Times

Postby fox » 09 Sep 2010, 22:00

Well I have subscribed to the feed on my instance and it shows 30 articles. I didn't notice anything obviously missing either. :(

At this point I can only suggest to try switching between Magpie and SimplePie.

ginahoy
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby ginahoy » 10 Sep 2010, 00:31

fox wrote:Well I have subscribed to the feed on my instance and it shows 30 articles.

That may be all of them, depending on how far back. According to Google Reader, 30 articles have been posted in this feed since July 8.

fox wrote:At this point I can only suggest to try switching between Magpie and SimplePie.

Not sure what you're talking about. I couldn't find anything with those words in Preferences. (Note: I'm using the Online version of tt-rss.)

BTW, the main reason I switched from Google Reader to tt-rss, and the reason I LOVE tt-rss, is because GR doesn't reject duplicate stories. This isn't an issue with the NYT Space feed , but all the regular news feeds from the Associated Press, Reuters, NYT, etc., have a policy of frequently re-posting current news stories throughout the day to keep them at top of the feed. I was spending far too much time scanning my feeds for new stories.

fox

Postby fox » 10 Sep 2010, 10:04

That may be all of them, depending on how far back.

Looks like it works properly for me then.

Not sure what you're talking about.

It's in the feed editor (f e). I'm using Magpie.

is because GR doesn't reject duplicate stories.

It doesn't? Looks like it's a marketable feature for tt-rss, lol. I'll mention it on tt-rss.org. 8)

By the way, this could be the potential culprit - if you subscribe to some other NYT feeds and some stories also appear there, they would only show in one feed (I think there is an option controlling this behaviour).

FWIW I'm not seeing anything immediately wrong in the feed (GUIDs and such look okay) so tt-rss should really just work with it. Also, I have subscribed to the feed on my Online account and it worked exactly the same. I'm not really sure what to suggest here. :(

ginahoy
Bear Rating Disaster
Bear Rating Disaster

Postby ginahoy » 01 Jan 2011, 04:32

Suddenly and without explanation, the NY Times Space & Cosmos feed that had not been updating properly now shows articles from July to December 2009, but still has not picked up all the missing articles from this year. I've been using Google Reader to follow this feed. BTW, back in September, when I first posted this issue, I tried SimplePie as per your suggestion, but that made no difference. Who knows why these things happen!

fox

Postby fox » 01 Jan 2011, 14:33

I'm still subscribed to it from the time I tried to test it. Incidentally, happy new year, everyone!

Return to “Online”