Read/unread sync API

nikipore
Joy Division

Read/unread sync API

Postby nikipore » 25 May 2013, 20:40

I just switched from Google Reader to the combo TT-RSS/GReader. So far, I'm psyched, except for the missing synchronization of the client's read/unread status to the server. Is this a problem of GReader, or a gap in the API? If the latter is the case, I'd hereby like to request to include that feature in the API and inform the GReader author. Thanks!

fox
^ me reading your posts ^

Re: Read/unread sync API

Postby fox » 25 May 2013, 21:40

Hello I'm using a third party app which doesn't work properly, plz fix k

nikipore
Joy Division

Postby nikipore » 26 May 2013, 12:01

@fox: I am not quite sure if I got your reply right, as it appears rather snippy to me: In your opninion, is this a gap in the API or isn't it? If you think it isn't, then please say so, and consider this feature request "invalid" or "wontfix".

This link https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/g_reader/OlsVd9RSfPU refers to the relevant discussion thread in the GReader user group, and the punchline seems to be that GReader is highly optimized in order to keep traffic as low as possible, and the TT-RSS API is not prepared for such optimizations. There is one developer (Michael Vogel) who is willing to provide a patch for TT-RSS.

I am maintaining an open source project myself, so I am quite aware that I shouldn't address 3rd party app problems to you. But given that Google Reader is about to disappear I guess it is in everybody's interest to have at least one high quality RSS client per mobile OS which supports TT-RSS as a backend. And all mobile clients should be enabled to incur as little a bandwidth hit as feasible. And this shouldn't be precluded by an API which is "inappropriate" (not because it doesn't work in principle, but because it causes to much traffic) for mobile use.

fox

Postby fox » 26 May 2013, 12:20

>and the punchline seems to be that GReader is highly optimized in order to keep traffic as low as possible, and the TT-RSS API is not prepared for such optimization

Truly we are not worthy. Q_Q

>But given that Google Reader is about to disappear I guess it is in everybody's interest to have at least one high quality RSS client per mobile OS which supports TT-RSS as a backend

Yeah, I publish one on the market. Thanks for asking.

fox

Postby fox » 26 May 2013, 12:29

My favorite part about your argument is that basic features are working normally through the exact same api in the official android client (and multiple other api consumers) because the clients and the api are simply not prepared to handle the amazing power of greader optimization. Not because the app is broken or anything, which just cannot be, it is after all the only one out there possessing high quality, unlike this other terrible (yet working) shit other people are pushing. Obviously the api must be somehow fixed to conform with that one app nobody here gives any fucks about.

In short, consider thinking before posting.

fox

Postby fox » 26 May 2013, 17:06

Obviously instead of responding on a forum like a normal person would do, topicstarter decided to educate me in the PM instead. I have to share his wisdom in its entirety:

>My favorite part about your argument ...
I just summarized the state of discussion in a constructive thread, so I wouldn't consider that "my argument". Stripping off your descendant and rude tonality, I understand that that discussion is pointless because your API already allows a bandwidth-optimized way of syncing the post metadata (read/unread, ...). Then why don't you just say "wontfix", giving that objective reason?

>Yeah, I publish one on the market. Thanks for asking.
If I interpret your statement right, your software seems to be the only being applicable for the predicate "high quality". When I made a statement about "high quality", I referred to the proven (to me, usability being a subjective criterion) high quality of GReader in terms of usability, which is not exclusive of other clients, in particular not yours, which I will readily look into. If it proves to be as usable (to me) as GReader, I'll switch to it happily, although after this episode I'm not quite sure whether I'm willing to rely on a software maintained by someone who throws dirt at constructive questions instead of just answering (or ignoring) them.

>In short, consider thinking before posting.
In short, consider taking a lesson in good manners before opening a forum, you're an admin not a troll.

So, you see, folks, not only is posting bogus shit without research considered constructive, but you also need to get a degree in netiquette before opening an internet forum, lest some fuckwit becomes offended by general lack of politeness in response to his bogus shit.

Truly a brave new world is upon us. A world which belongs to entitled ignoramuses.

Elektro121
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby Elektro121 » 26 May 2013, 18:48

This fonctionnality can be useful, integrated on the official app.

nikipore
Joy Division

Postby nikipore » 28 May 2013, 17:07

Sorry, I am currently traveling through some pretty remote areas of the world, so I couldn't answer before.

So I take it is "invalid". Thank you for that unambiguous answer.

All I --- and a vast amount of people out there, really vast, we're talking about ~100 millions of users of Google Reader --- am hoping for is that there will be at least one serious open source project which fills the gap the passing Google backend is going to leave.

I truly believe TT-RSS's got a pole posisition and wish you the very best: it's a very slick piece of software, it just needs a couple of hosters of TT-RSS instances and (imho) some polishing in terms of usability, look, and features on the server side and a vibrant client ecosystem.

The server clearly is in a pole position for filling the Google gap, but on the client side there are more apps like GReader, which is just the first established RSS reader which has opened its API to TT-RSS. GReader has about 40k reviews on Google Play, so there are probably a couple of million users around which will soon come and get you, and believe me, they do give a fuck. If your client(s) can harvest them all, good for you, every dog has his day. May you get rich and famous, if users vote with their feeds in your favor, you clearly deserve it.

Coming from the Python side, I think of learning some of that mess called PHP to support the server side of your project. If I keep using it, you'll get pull not feature requests from me --- if I find the time. The project deserves all the help of the world. If you don't want to accept it from me, no worries, I won't let you know that it was me.

End of message as to the actual purpose of this thread from my side.

nikipore
Joy Division

Postby nikipore » 28 May 2013, 17:09

Now to the funny little game you like to play so much, never played it in a forum before but it indeed is fun. You have the last word, I have nothing to add:

In the meantime --- yes, you're right, I should have made my homework better before opening that topic --- I read somewhere on the net that you and your kin are rude but capable skript kiddies who just got overwhelmed by Google's recent announcement. Well, if you're so short in time, why for your own sake don't you just concentrate on writing that single word "invalid"?

Netiquette shmetiquette, my PM is my property and not at your discretion without my permission. Have you got that, sponger? If you had asked, I would have had no problems if you posted all of it: you left the part where I said that I sent a PM to 1. no further let the thread deviate from the answer to the original question and 2. arrive at some explicit answer in the first place without your silly nonsense we can talk someday when we smoke a joint or steal a horse together. I obviously only succeded at 2 ("invalid", see above), which is a reasonable and fine result.

It's your forum after all, and you don't need my permission to talk to your kin as you like. I don't beat kiddies, but don't talk like that to my grandmother or the wrong person on the street, or they'll beat the shit out of you and hang you on your balls.

Let's see what happens if your forum gets flooded by busloads of real ignoramuses (using GReader and their likes just to have a good time consuming RSS feeds --- although in a global perspective the mere awareness of the term RSS no longer qualifies that person as a true ignoramus) instead of people like you and me who know their coding elbow from their ass and are just arguing about whose head is deeper up his elbow. That's gonna be more fresh meat than you can hunt in a lifetime.

blainemono
Gaping Anus of Eternity
Gaping Anus of Eternity

Postby blainemono » 28 May 2013, 17:25

fox

Postby fox » 28 May 2013, 17:51

Best part about these inane rantings is the seeming assumption that I actually care. <3

my PM is my property and not at your discretion without my permission

It's so cute when they are indignant about their nonexistant rights too.

I read somewhere on the net that you and your kin are rude but capable skript kiddies who just got overwhelmed by Google's recent announcement.

:shock:

Return to “Comedy bistro”