Using unused laptop as TT-RSS only

If you run tt-rss on an officially unsupported platform (shared hosting, Windows, etc.) post here
whoareyou
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Using unused laptop as TT-RSS only

Postby whoareyou » 25 May 2014, 23:01

Hello, I have a few years old laptap sitting in my closet waiting for to be used again. I am wondering it is possible to have TT-RSS in my laptop? I am not interested in getting a dedicated web hosting account. And I usually read RSS when I am home. So my plan was to have my laptop on at all time and put TT-RSS in it. And access all my feeds from my Android phone when I am at home or use my desktop to access it. Is any way to make it work? I did search the forum, there is not much information on this.

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Re: Using unused laptop as TT-RSS only

Postby JustAMacUser » 25 May 2014, 23:32

Setting it up on a local computer is not going to be a whole lot different than on a dedicated or virtual server. The exception being that if you're planning to access it from the outside, you'll probably have to do some port mapping with your router.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 26 May 2014, 01:27

technically, setting it up on a local computer is what it was designed for, which is one of the reasons that virtuals are in the unsupported platform section ;)

also, use postgres, it's easier on systems, and faster.

pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby pcause » 26 May 2014, 15:36

I am set up with an old laptop to be my tt-rss server. I use Ubuntu and it works well. If you want to enable access from outside of your home, then as the other poster said, you have to allow access to the laptops web server through your home firewall/router. This is usually in the port forwarding section of your router setup page. You'll likely also want to set up a dynamic DNS entry for your home server. I use noip for mine.

I'd also recommend only enabling https access so that if you get on a public wifi hotspot your credentials aren't available to folks snooping the wifi network. You can use a self signed cert,

whoareyou
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby whoareyou » 27 May 2014, 08:45

Ahh I see. Alright, so it is possible to do this. I am trying to read the guide of how to install it. Apparently I need to install MySQL to make TT-RSS work? Terribly sorry, I am very new at this. Is there a beginner guide to make a average human like me to understand the process of installation?

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 27 May 2014, 09:11

go back up and read my comment above.

pcause
Bear Rating Master
Bear Rating Master

Postby pcause » 27 May 2014, 13:39

Here is an article that walks you through this, but as the previous poster says, use postgresql and not mysql. I used mysql first but the performance on my old laptop wasn't great.

https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/322446-weekend-project-replacing-google-reader-with-tiny-tiny-rss

whoareyou
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby whoareyou » 29 May 2014, 02:12

OK great. That guide you provided it tad confusing for me. I decided to look for another guide which http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-tin ... -ubuntu/2/ help a lot for me. I follow everything it said and using postgresql and using http://localhost/tt-rss. I restart the service and I type down in Firefox and use http://localhost/tt-rss. then I got a 404 error. What I am doing wrong?

JustAMacUser
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby JustAMacUser » 29 May 2014, 05:22

If you followed that htpcbeginner guide then you're using a third party package install of TT-RSS, which is not supported.

Nevertheless, when you typed the "localhost" URL, did you enter that on the laptop on which TT-RSS is installed?

You could also try adding a trailing slash in case the web server isn't setup to handle that type of thing (i.e. http://localhost/tt-rss/)

You'll have to find the document root for the web server and make sure TT-RSS is there with the correct permissions, etc.

sleeper_service
Bear Rating Overlord
Bear Rating Overlord

Postby sleeper_service » 29 May 2014, 06:12

whoareyou wrote:OK great. That guide you provided it tad confusing for me. I decided to look for another guide which http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-tin ... -ubuntu/2/ help a lot for me. What I am doing wrong?

if you use someone's pre-packaged tt-rss setup, and have problems with it, ask *THEM* questions about how to make it work, not us..

whoareyou
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby whoareyou » 29 May 2014, 20:57

sleeper_service wrote:
whoareyou wrote:OK great. That guide you provided it tad confusing for me. I decided to look for another guide which http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-tin ... -ubuntu/2/ help a lot for me. What I am doing wrong?

if you use someone's pre-packaged tt-rss setup, and have problems with it, ask *THEM* questions about how to make it work, not us..

Very well. I decided now to follow the guide that pcause provided. However I came to a block. I am trying to follow a command line, but it is using mysql command line. I swap out mysql to postgresql. But terminal can't find postgresql. I check to make sure postgresql is installed in Software Manager. And it said it is installed. Terminal said postgresql: command not found.

martywd
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby martywd » 29 May 2014, 21:18

whoareyou wrote:Terminal said postgresql: command not found.

In a terminal window run:

Code: Select all

man psql

The 'man' is your friend.

whoareyou
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby whoareyou » 29 May 2014, 21:53

martywd wrote:
whoareyou wrote:Terminal said postgresql: command not found.

In a terminal window run:

man psql

The 'man' is your friend.

Great that works. And I don't know what to do next since the guide was mostly based on mysql. So I did

man psql -u root -p -h localhost CREATE DATABASE ttrssdb.

Apparently it bringing up a manual of how to create a database (I'm not very knowledgeable with this)

Then I tried

psql -u root -p -h localhost CREATE DATABASE ttrssdb.

I got this

/usr/lib/postgresql/9.1/bin/psql: invalid option -- 'u'
Try "psql --help" for more information

Please be patient with me. Where I go next?

mrc0mmand
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby mrc0mmand » 29 May 2014, 23:26

Okay, this works for me on Fedora 20, mabe it will help you.

su -
su - postgres
psql

Create a new user and appropriate database:

CREATE USER ttrss WITH PASSWORD 'somesecretpassword';
CREATE DATABASE ttrssdb;
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON DATABASE ttrssdb TO ttrss;

Now you should be able to install ttrss with user 'ttrss', database 'ttrssdb' and 'somesecretpassword' as your password.

whoareyou
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby whoareyou » 30 May 2014, 00:50

mrc0mmand wrote:Okay, this works for me on Fedora 20, mabe it will help you.

su -
su - postgres
psql

Great, I typed it down and it working so far. Then I did

CREATE USER ttrss WITH PASSWORD 'awesome';

Then the error show up

ERROR:  role "ttrss" already exists
postgres=#

Look like it already created but for some reason, I still couldn't access my ttrss in Firefox.

Return to “Unsupported platforms”