Subscribe to OPML

Request new functionality here
davidm
Plays it by ear

Subscribe to OPML

Postby davidm » 26 Aug 2013, 22:05

I'm taking this idea from a blog post by Dave Winer (the guy who invented RSS).
http://scripting.com/2013/08/15/feedReaderDevs

The idea is simple: besides importing feeds from an OPML, let the user subscribe to an OPML that has a permanent URL. The feed reader automatically subscribes/unsubscribes to each RSS feed found in the OPML. The OPML is periodically refreshed, and RSS subscriptions updated.

tt-rss already has a related feature: public OPML.

There are several use cases that could make sense. From the original post:

It means the list can be maintained by another piece of software, or by another human being. A domain expert, for example. (...) Spotify could give you a list of feeds to follow for your favorite bands, and that list would change as your musical tastes evolve. (...) I want to provide a curated feed list for people who read my blog.

Speaking for myself: I would have done this in my last job, where we had three different people (and wanted to get more) reading feeds and getting news for everybody. I could have easily kept a master feed list.

Another idea: you could make some quick and cheap social stuff. For example, have an OPML for the Published feed of all the users in a tt-rss instance. When there is a new user, the OPML maintainer updates it, everyone else gets subscribed to that user. This could be productive in an organization.

It's probably a niche feature, I think it could make for a nice plugin if someone is interested.

ameer1234567890
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Re: Subscribe to OPML

Postby ameer1234567890 » 27 Aug 2013, 11:48

+1 for this idea. It shouldn't be too difficult to implement, IMHO.

ibreakcellphones
Bear Rating Trainee
Bear Rating Trainee

Postby ibreakcellphones » 27 Aug 2013, 18:46

How would this be different from a curated RSS feed that pulls content from various sources?

For example, if I was the curator, I could use my TT-RSS published articles feed to pull things from all over the web, instead of maintaining an OPML file.

davidm
Plays it by ear

Postby davidm » 27 Aug 2013, 21:49

Selection of content vs. selection of sources. Not the same thing, by a long stretch.

Return to “Feature requests”